LegacyGT.com

JDM Bilstein top hat confusion

I bought a complete set of JDM bilstein's some years back and am just now getting around to installing.

They are the ones below:

20310AG140 (front right), 20310AG150 (front left), 20365AG120 (rear)

as described in https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-jdm-oem-suspension-61108.html

I thought I was all set as the front struts I have came with top hats. However, something does not seem quite right. The boss in the top hat seems smaller than the hole in the strut tower. Sooooo, I need USDM Spec B hats? I am confused as I read that JDM Bilsteins need JDM tophats?

I am a little disappointed, I have assembled struts before but it is not something I was hoping to do again. If anyone has been through this I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks ahead of time.

20210517_203021.thumb.jpg.ef910f1340d866a768dda083e57605ad.jpg

20210517_203118.thumb.jpg.2d7e7991fd7e40497dc471ebd250f220.jpg

Edited by bubbagump

JDM tophats are the same as SpecB tophats.

My struts have an identical gap.

Innnnteresting. Thanks for reply! I'm assuming you've had it like that for a while and no issues? This is good news, I was really hoping to have things buttoned back up again soon!

I wonder.... do SpecB's have slightly different strut towers or is the gap there even on true USDM SpecB's? Any of you fortunate SpecB owners care to have a look?

Thanks!

Just bumping this thread hoping to find a SpecB owner who is willing to take a pic of their strut tower for me. The gap in mine has been nagging me. I have looked at a bunch of engine shots from SpecB's and it kind of looks like the gap is not there. But, none of the pictures really show it very well so who knows.

Or maybe someone already knows right off the top of their head... are SpecB strut tower holes a little different than regular LGT's?

Just bumping this thread hoping to find a SpecB owner who is willing to take a pic of their strut tower for me. The gap in mine has been nagging me. I have looked at a bunch of engine shots from SpecB's and it kind of looks like the gap is not there. But, none of the pictures really show it very well so who knows.

Or maybe someone already knows right off the top of their head... are SpecB strut tower holes a little different than regular LGT's?

My wife's wagon has bilstein with spec b top hats. The gap is identical to yours. I doubt the spec b trim and gt trim would have different strut towers but you never know [emoji2369]

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk