LegacyGT.com

Rough Idle and Stalling After Power Steering Replacement, Part Identifying Help

Changing out my old power steering pump and noticed this was very broken, inside spring kept pushing out the connector so I took the spring out. Searched the repair manual to no avail, what is this so I can replace it and hope that was the issue because I got gas after for a test drive and the blinking cruise control light + check engine light (but showed no codes) combo was on, I dont know if that was from unplugging so many thing + battery but it didnt go away after a 20 min drive. Had rough idle and would stall after coming to a stop, the turbo also would not kick in regardless of rpms.

I fixed my civic with a turbo many times and never had anything like this happen.

2005 subaru legacy gt limited

LJGNj53.jpg

iMCdvX8.jpg

That's a tumble generator valve (TGV) motor. Easy to replace. I'm not 100% but I believe that cracked housing could cause a vacuum leak which would explain the rough idle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There is a thread about replacing it.

There is a set where you rotate it 90 degrees after you install it, but, before you tighten it.

ask google. "how to...."

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's a tumble generator valve (TGV) motor. Easy to replace. I'm not 100% but I believe that cracked housing could cause a vacuum leak which would explain the rough idle.

Is there a place to go buy them or do I need to look in a junkyard. All the results come up for the full metal body and not just the valve motor itself, there are some cheap used on ebay but Id rather not get a metal body with the part I need.

I'd try to get it installed properly, and see if that fixes the problem before replacing. In the first quote, I think he's talking about the passenger tgv?

I’ve done this twice. Once when I broke the connector and once when I smoked and found a leak there. You do point the connector up and then twist toward the passenger side. The shaft from the butterfly valve faces 1:00 at the top when viewed with the windshield behind your head. You will feel resistance as you twist it. Be cautious as the screws tend disappear when you drop them so put a rag underneath to catch them.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5809454&postcount=6

The only other instructions I can find talk about the driver side

Turn the sensor 90 degrees from where it lines up with the screw holes on the housing and press it unto the shaft. Then turn the whole sensor assembly- which also turns the shaft and screw in the two screws.

For future reference to anyone who might find this post in a search, on the drivers side you have to start with the TGV sensor 90° CCW from where it needs to be. Push it on with the electrical connector facing up, then rotate it CW so that the connector faces the drivers side of the car, and then install the bolts. I also had to temporarily remove a neighboring bolt that was holding a fuel line clip in place in order to rotate the sensor.

And, I would like to say that spraying WD40 in the electrical connections seems to have worked. I just got back from a short test drive, and no CEL.

Thanks.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tgv-sensor-adjustment-alignment-91235.html