LegacyGT.com

2011 Legacy 2.5i oil leaks

Soo. I have searched for this oil leak and just can't seem to see the origin. I don't believe it is engine oil but, rather CVT or Power steering fluids. It collects on the driver side mostly and hits the exhaust. I have done the CVT service and diff service as well. The leak seems to be coming from the top of the motor to CVT connection, (I think but can't see). Was thinking the oil separator, Rear main seal or somewhere around the torque converter. Am I on the right track? I do plan to pull the motor but was wanting order seals and gaskets so that I do not have to pull it twice. What all do you recommend for replacing once I get the motor pulled. It does have the newer torque converter on it. Tks.

If it is CVT fluid or power steering fluid (Factory fill is ATF) it is not going to be the rear main seal. I would look at all the connections to the CVT 1st since it could have disturbed to replace torque converter. I think those have CVT oil cooler. The power steering is on the passenger side and when that leaks, it burns off on the passenger exhaust manifold.

You could always try and degrease the area and see if it gives you a better idea of where the leak is starting from.

If you are pulling the engine anyway, just pick up a rear main, they are not very expensive and easy to remove/install.