LegacyGT.com

Popping noise when parking

FaderUS

I have a 2011 Legacy 2.5 with 130k. I recently had the entire front suspension replaced..Struts (kyb excel-g), 2013 springs, LCA, tophats, right tie rods, and a swaybay upgraded to the larger 2013 outback unit with new swaybar links and bushings. This all oem subaru stuff, except for the struts and swaybar itself (junkyard pull from a car hit in the rear) and the work was done by a Nissan certified mechanic and it was aligned after, with nothing looking off on the alignment report.

When I got the car back it was fine for a bit (<100 miles) then started to pop when I turned sharply at low speed, like when parking. I have only noticed it when turning left, and it feels fine while driving and at speed.

He diagnosed it to a failed tophat bearing and Subaru warrantied it. I just got it back, and after <20 miles it seems to be returning, though not as loudly as before, so far...any ideas?

I have honestly never had a half shaft fail on a Subaru (but I have snapped them on the turbo cars). I may be reading too much into it, but the sound definitely has a sort of sproingy quality like something binding/releasing vs the cv joint click i've heard in other cars.