LegacyGT.com

Whiteline Steering Rack Bushing Failure?

Anybody wear out the Whiteline (KRS207) rack bushings?

After installing the front subframe from my parts car complete with the steering rack I was chasing an on center vagueness and slop when going across center with spirited driving. After some investigation all the usual suspects checked out fine (inner/outer tie rods and steering coupler), but I was getting more movement in the steering rack than I expected. Turns out the mount bushings were blown out, to the point I was getting metal contact between the inner sleeve and the rack. The "rubber" seems soft and distorted, but was not really oily. (see picture).

How long should these bushings last? I don't know how many miles are on them, they were installed by the PO. But I do know my old rack has 305K miles on stock bushings that were far oilier and they are in perfect shape. Maybe an install issue?

Gary

Bushing.thumb.jpg.3240c0f2e32734afa9ddb5f62cea5078.jpg

No exp with these particular bushings, however recently discovered Whiteline has a robust warranty policy. If you want to replace w same, reach out to their customer service and they may ship you new ones. Mine were lca bushings, after a user error and a trip to a chain alignment shop the tech told me all were worn out. Whiteline rep said they are covered for lifetime, no receipt, date or mileage needed. The KCA313bumpstop kit, however, is only warranted for three years from purchase. Seems like you’re not sure on age/mileage of the steering rack components, but worth a phone call to find out if you can get new ones for free. Hope that helps.

Gotta say, my opinion of WL’s products is starting to falter. I blew thru their bump steer kit after only 4 track days. The ball was completely clunking around in the tie rod end. They said that their stuff isn’t really warrantied once you take it on the track. What the hell is if for then?! Oh, I see, it’s made for 4k stoplight clutch dumps down at the local Taystee Freez. So they sold me the tie rod ends only for $100. Four more track days, second set is blown, same issue. Again, Cobb Surgeline calls to find out what’s up. Whiteline apologizes and sends out another pair of tie rod ends for free. Admits that they are using a new supplier that they are having some issues with :( Am I putting in the free second set? Hell no, went back to OEM, which I ran for years on track with zero issues. Didn’t really notice that big a difference anyway when I went to their bump steer kit anyway...

I did a little digging (PO of my parts car was on this forum), the rack bushings have less than 15K on them. I wonder if track day use might be a factor in my case too, I know the PO tracked the parts car once or twice. I might contact Whiteline just to see what they say.

For now my old rack is going back in, lots of miles, but no issues.

Edited by All_talk

I’ve just installed a ton of their parts on my car but I haven’t had them on long enough to tell how they are holding up but I did have issues with them. i ordered a bunch of stuff and instead of getting the shifter bushing kit, i got a trans mount insert for a new mustang. called them up, they apologized told me to throw the wrong part away and sent me the right kit which showed up fast. Get the shifter all torn apart, go to install and the insert for the bushing is missing in the freshly opened kit. Call them up, they say toss the kit and got me a complete kit in two days.

Frustrating but I was happy with how they handled it

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. After doing a little digging I was able to determine the parts had less than 15K on them. I contacted Whiteline and they have replaced the kit no questions asked. They said the parts should have lasted longer but no further reason was given for the failure. Top marks for customer service and overall I'm happy with the outcome.

Gary