LegacyGT.com

Spring cleaning on my '08 Spec B.

Hey all,

Long story short my buddy and I found that my oil pan and valve cover gaskets are all leaking, and, seeing as how the clutch has been starting to go in the last couple months we have decided to drop the motor and trans and do some updating and refreshing on my 2008 Legacy Spec B. To my knowledge the car is completely stock as I have yet to touch anything on it (other than adding an Accessport to monitor stuff) and the previous owners seemed to be an older couple up north.

As I am not well-versed with these cars I am looking for suggestions for parts and items to check while we have everything out. Bare minimum we are doing the valve cover gaskets, resealing the oil pan, replacing the clutch, spark plugs, checking/replacing the rear main seal, replacing differential oil, shifter bushings, checking the turbo shaft play. I am considering better motor/trans mounts since we will have the motor out anyway.

One thing to note that we are unsure of is if the slave cylinder on these 6mts is external or internal and if it should be replaced. The car is at almost 170k miles. It is my daily driver so I don't plan on going crazy with upgrades, but some fun is always appreciated.

I appreciate suggestions for what else to look at or consider replacing because I like options and this car deserves it. Thanks!

I believe all slaves on these are external and right under the intercooler, also a valve cover gasket leak can make it look like the oil pan is leaking. I’d clean all the oil off really well and run it to be double sure it’s leaking before removing the oil pan. Some years had issues with oil pick up tubes cracking. if yours falls into that, you may want to look into doing a killer b pickup tube regardless of it leaking or not. Also may want to consider adding a waterpump and timing belt to the list if it’s been a while. Edited by blackobxt

We did only have limited time on the lift the other day so I will give it a good cleaning and recheck when I am in the shop again. The water pump/timing belt and tensioner were done at 150k right after I bought it so we are good under the timing cover unless I find leaks from cam seals and the like. Thanks!

The cracked oil pick up was only late 2005 to early 2006.

I found the STI tranny mount made no difference in my Spec B, but it made a big difference in my 05 GT...

I had my trusted mechanic replace the motor mounts on the wagon with whatever they use last year.

As said the oil pans have not been known to be a issue, the right side valve cover has been a issue.

Oh, I see a couple threads down is a good thread about the valve cover gaskets.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The main reason we are pulling the motor is because we are doing the clutch, and since my buddy is doing most of the work and that is the way he has found is easiest for him to work on that for these cars, I wont argue too much since he is not charging me much XD. Since he is doing it this way I wanted to take the opportunity to touch on whatever else should be done/checked while its out.

You might want to think about replacing the heater hoses and oil return hose while its easy.

I use Prestone coolant or Peak Global without any issues.

What clutch are you getting ?

I like Spec 2+ clutches, and their LWFW with replaceable friction surface. Call them if you'd like to order one, great customer service. I have a buddy that works there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You might want to think about replacing the heater hoses and oil return hose while its easy.

I use Prestone coolant or Peak Global without any issues.

What clutch are you getting ?

I like Spec 2+ clutches, and their LWFW with replaceable friction surface. Call them if you'd like to order one, great customer service. I have a buddy that works there.

I will check on sourcing those hoses thanks! Since I am not doing anything performance oriented yet I don't need anything crazy with the clutch. It is my daily so something comfortable, but I do have a little back road fun now and then. I have mostly seen people put the OEM STI clutch and flywheel into these or ACT clutches but again I am open to suggestions as I have not really dabbled with them myself. Do you have a link with a clutch combo in mind?

I will check on sourcing those hoses thanks! Since I am not doing anything performance oriented yet I don't need anything crazy with the clutch. It is my daily so something comfortable, but I do have a little back road fun now and then. I have mostly seen people put the OEM STI clutch and flywheel into these or ACT clutches but again I am open to suggestions as I have not really dabbled with them myself. Do you have a link with a clutch combo in mind?

Just make sure they realize you have a '08 specB with the 6MT.