LegacyGT.com

Rod knock?

Is there any way I can easily diagnose rod knock? I’m hearing a slight possibly knocking sound and a little bit of a squeal. After watching some YouTube vids I’m really starting to worry it might be the start of something worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should check your oil to see if there are bits of metal in it. Cut open the oil filter. My car had very pronounced knocking at the very end of its first engine's life. Low oil level would also help diagnose this as you may have run the car low on oil.

In addition to the above you could use a mechanics stethoscope or long screwdriver to pinpoint where the sound is the loudest in the engine. Go to where you hear the noise the loudest in the engine bay and stick the tip of your scope or screwdriver on the metal of the block and heads and notice where the sound is the loudest.

How are you hearing the knock? Is it always there or only under load or a specific RPM range?

I lost a wrist pin in mine. It started with a small knock on start up and got worse from there. I nursed it till it just stopped running and then dove in deep with the rebuild.

A spun bearing isn't going to squeal - also, there are other things that can sound similar to rod knock that aren't (timing belt tensioner being the primary example) - definitely have it checked if you don't know what to look for. If you drain the oil and there are metal bits in it, then you can be pretty certain it's a spun bearing. (when it's really bad, it makes a characteristic tok-tok-tok sort of sound - go on youtube and there are a bunch of videos) - how many miles on the engine? is this a GT?