LegacyGT.com

Condensation in valve cover

1825342754_SubaruValveCover.thumb.jpg.b2a46a6a4049a76296096d2259f588ec.jpg

Here is what I found when I pulled the valve cover off my EJ255 (2006). I recently replaced the head gaskets, and had the heads pressure tested at the machine shop. Any ideas where else that much moisture could be entering into my oil system? Also, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot it with the engine out of the car? The oil and pan are both clean and I don't think I'm losing coolant. At least not in the last 1000 miles since doing the head gaskets.

I posted this same question over in the Outback Forums, but since it's an EJ255, I figured there be more people floating around over in this area.

Thanks for any ideas.

Tom

Hmm, I may be wrong about this, but that sort of gunk ends up in your valve cover breather hoses if you do a lot of short trips and don't get the car up to temperature. Back when I lived a 5-minute drive from work, I had to deal with that. I'd assume that, since those breather hoses are attached right there, that the condensation is the same stuff I've seen myself and that you're totally fine, but just need to take her on a long trip every week or two :)

That's not moisture. Moisture build up in the oil system is normally a light brown milky looking stuff.

Make sure your oil level is good and take the car for a long drive at highway speeds. You need to get the engine and oil hot enough to boil the moisture out of it.

If you only drive short distances this time of year, moisture can build up inside the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for those posts. My daughter was the primary driver of this car for a while and she works 3 miles from home. So that would all make sense. Since that stuff is primarily in the valve cover (and in the larger of the 2 PCV hoses coming off the valve covers, would a catch can help? I'm considering routing that larger hose into a catch can on that side of the engine to possibly help out with this issue, although I'll be driving it longer distances now that I'm the primary driver.

My daughter is back to driving the 01 Outback that she likes better because it's a 5-speed. Go figure. (insert image of proud dad picture here).

Tom

I would not worry about a catch can. Just drive the car longer.

If you look in the owners manual, you'll see that only driving the car for short distance is listed under "server conditions" the oil should be changed more often.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here