LegacyGT.com

Fuel filter - 60K replacement interval

I am nearing 90K on my original fuel filter. The maintenance booklet gives a 60K interval for the fuel filter. I am uneasy ignoring Subaru’s maintenance schedule, but I do not see an easy way to change it. The Subaru dealer isn’t even interested in doing it*. So . . . has anyone seen a catastrophic failure that made you say, “Oh, that’s why Subaru said to replace the fuel filter at 60K”?

* At 60K, the dealer said not to do it until 90K because we get less water contamination in the arid southwest. Now, the dealer claims that the fuel filter in my car cannot be changed out.

They aren't the same as old school inline filters. They're much larger and have a longer service life. My 2009 Outback 3.0R is at 200k on the original filter.

The problem with changing the filter is that it's an integral part of the fuel pump assembly. It *can" be changed, but it's a bit of a PITA. A Subaru dealer won't change the filter, they'll only change the entire assembly. That's big $$$.

It's actually a fairly easy job compared to a lot of other fuel pump removals.

You just need to remove the rear seat cushion (push tabs in front of seat and lift up), pop a couple electrical connectors, remove a few bolts and take the fuel pump assembly out. Then you just need to separate the filter from the assembly by pushing a couple of tabs and pulling it apart.

I have to drop the 30 gallon fuel tank in my trucks at work to access the fuel pump. A lot more of a filthy and difficult job than my LGT.

I would say it's not necessary, but good insurance for those who worry. If you look in this link you will see how much garbage was in my fuel pump assembly when I switched my fuel pump out.

Post #261

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/stewdoggs-2010-gt-269205p18.html

I have seen some fuel pump filter assemblies on 5th Gen with burnt connectors at higher miles. (over 120K miles) I have been replacing mine. I think many of them easily last 100k no problem, I bet most owners don't even do them. I am surprise the dealer didn't want to do it, it is pretty easy job do and they can probably charge an 1hours plus profit on the parts.

I am surprise the dealer didn't want to do it, it is pretty easy job do and they can probably charge an 1hours plus profit on the parts.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Hell, go to the dealer with a broken release tab on a COP connector and they'll tell you they have to replace the entire engine harness (seriously). It takes less than 10 minutes to swap a new connector, but they refuse to do it.

Agree with Stewdogg: It's pretty simple, just kind of tricky. I have big hands, so I had to ask my girlfriend to undo one of the clips that are hard to get to with my meaty digits. It's all very intuitive and it's pretty easy to wing it. You are dealing with gasoline tho, so try not to die in a fire.

It absolutely can be changed out, what a stupid thing for the dealer to say. If you're not the type to do it yourself, any shop should be qualified.

If you do it yourself, the black metal ring is seemingly impossible to remove with the tank installed. I broke one of the white connections, so I could remove the black ring. On my white GT someone had installed a DW65C fuel pump previously (but left the original fuel filter assembly) and bent the sheet metal to get the black ring out.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5793743&postcount=22