LegacyGT.com

05 Outback XT alternator issue

I asked this in the Outback section but nobody replied. About ready to roll this thing off a cliff so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just did a rebuild of the motor and after putting it back in I now have the battery and brake light on all the time. Someone have the wiring diagram so I can check if the 3 wires from the alternator are still good? The alternator is charging (put in a new one), new battery, and the 7.5A fuse is still good.

Help would be appreciated so I can get it back on the road.

Yeah, it seems like most the outback people like myself post here. Just to verify you have checked the basics, have you tested voltage at the battery while its running? Verify all your connections at the battery? also where did you get the alternator and what brand?

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

that's the 05 Legacy service manual, you should be able to find it there.

Try page 5207...

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Make sure you have checked all the electrical connections you made when putting things back together.

Lot's of times we miss something or don't have one fully seated

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I will check the battery voltage tonight, what possible loose connection could effect the charging system? At least it isn't hard to go back through and check seating for all the connections.

The alternator is the BBB one, I checked with the multimeter and it is putting out 14V at idle.

when checking with your meter are you checking at the alternator or the battery? Any connection from the alternator to the battery and from the battery out are the likely suspects. if all seems well, take them apart and clean them and put them back together. also double check all grounds including the ones under the car that go from the manifolds to the chassis. if your alternator is putting out good, then its probably a bad connection or ground somewhere

• 2 weeks later...