LegacyGT.com

Suspect suspension noise

Hey guys, I just recently had the drivers side wheel bearing go out in my 08 legacy (non turbo if that matters) and I changed wheel bearing and it fixed the problem, I just had a whirring type noise start up that changed with vehicle speed not rpm’s, and it would stop if I turn towards the left while driving, it sounded and acted a lot like the wheel bearing so I changed the passenger side bearing just now, but noise is still there. Usually can’t hear it unless driving 25-30+. I think the parking brake pads are needing replaced because even after adjustment they still don’t do much to hold the car in place, but the fact that I can make the sound stop by turning the wheel makes me kinda doubt it. I know it’s due for some new gear oil in both diffs, so I’m going to do that tonight, just wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction. Thank you!!!

Edit: I was so sure the noise was from the front I didn’t even think to check real bearings. I’d bet money that’s what the problem is. That being said, if anybody can tell me how to delete a post, please let me know

Edited by Stphnhrrng

Yes, check your rear wheel bearings, but how did you go about adjusting the parking brake? I was under the impression that our parking brakes were supposed to be adjusted similar to old drum brakes: drive slowly backwards and set the parking brake repeatedly, gently to more moderately. I used to have to yank the f*** out of my parking brake to hold the car on a hill and no longer have to do that after doing what I described.

Also, if you haven't checked your ball joints (another common suspension point of failure on these cars), then I'd recommend doing that as they're probably going to need to be done soon. Little bit more common of a failure on the Outback than Legacy, but a good thing to check nonetheless.

Yes, check your rear wheel bearings, but how did you go about adjusting the parking brake? I was under the impression that our parking brakes were supposed to be adjusted similar to old drum brakes: drive slowly backwards and set the parking brake repeatedly, gently to more moderately. I used to have to yank the f*** out of my parking brake to hold the car on a hill and no longer have to do that after doing what I described.

Also, if you haven't checked your ball joints (another common suspension point of failure on these cars), then I'd recommend doing that as they're probably going to need to be done soon. Little bit more common of a failure on the Outback than Legacy, but a good thing to check nonetheless.

I popped the cover off the e brake in the center console and tightened the screw just enough till there was a little resistance when I pulled it

I did the rear driver side bearing, no change. it’s actually developed a clicking sound in addition to the “washing machine spin cycle” noise. The clicking happens the whole time I’m driving from what I can tell, and it doesn’t seem to make much difference whether or not I’m turning like you would typically expect from a U-joint And it really does sound like it’s coming from front driver side even though it has a brand new bearing, I’m going to trade in bearings with my warranty and pick up a new CV axle just in case. Ah, and my CEL just came back with a cylinder 2 misfire again. I’m really glad it did, I was starting to miss the pit in my stomach while worrying if I have a bad piston ring

I've got the squeaky bushing disease. Any recommendations on bushing kits? Should I just replace all the arms?

Wish I could help, this is my first Subaru and I haven’t had to mess with those yet. Who knows though, my car is already in the “Holiday Dashboard” setting so maybe I’ll need new ones before the week is out:)

Have you verified the ball joints are ok as asked above ?

Make sure you didn't bend the dust shield behind the brake rotor, it could be touching the rotor...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Have you verified the ball joints are ok as asked above ?

Make sure you didn't bend the dust shield behind the brake rotor, it could be touching the rotor...?

I checked the shields, they aren’t touching anything. And a ball joint that makes a noise that sounds like a stuck caliper+ a bad cv axle? I haven’t checked the ball joints but wouldn’t they just make a creaking noise or something? The brakes all looked fine I think but Idk how to tell if one is stuck. I’m about to just take it to les schwab and ask them for a quote so I know what I need to fix

I checked the shields, they aren’t touching anything. And a ball joint that makes a noise that sounds like a stuck caliper+ a bad cv axle? I haven’t checked the ball joints but wouldn’t they just make a creaking noise or something? The brakes all looked fine I think but Idk how to tell if one is stuck. I’m about to just take it to les schwab and ask them for a quote so I know what I need to fix

First off, from what I gather about Les Schwab, they charge a little more for suspension work than a shop that specializes in our cars. Not to say they don't do good work, but they usually hire lesser-trained young guys to change out tires and wheels and not so much of the more extravagant stuff. I'd recommend going to a dealership before I'd recommend going there. Where are you located? I'm in Portland, OR and can recommend a good number of shops that can do better work for less. That said, bad ball joints would make a bit of a clunking noise, sometimes a squeaking noise. The car won't handle quite right either. You can check the ball joints but jacking the car up on all four wheels and moving the wheel around with a little bit of force, inward and outward from the hub. You can also check wheel bearings doing this as well.