LegacyGT.com

2008 Outback L.L. Bean Edition

Thinking of buying one and wanted to get the forums thoughts. I test drove it and really like it. Price is good and I think it's worth it.

Any thoughts about the 3.0 or L.L. Bean edition in general? I already posted about head gasket issues with the six cylinder (I'm told there are none like with the four). I'll be having it inspected by a mechanic who specializes only in Subarus.

I am a previous 2005 Outback XT owner so I am familiar with this generation (that's why I am considering the same generation). Just wanted to get some feedback on the L.L. Bean edition (I've read the comments on cars.com, edmunds, etc.)

I’ve owned one for 8 years now and I love it. It has some quirks but is very comfortable and capable. Pushing 125k miles and the biggest repair has been the torque converter. Biggest complaint is it has non-OEM replacement axles that cause vibrations while idling in gear. It’s a bit sluggish for a 6 cylinder but has plenty of power for highway cruising. Takes premium gas which is a bummer.

I’ve owned one for 8 years now and I love it. It has some quirks but is very comfortable and capable. Pushing 125k miles and the biggest repair has been the torque converter. Biggest complaint is it has non-OEM replacement axles that cause vibrations while idling in gear. It’s a bit sluggish for a 6 cylinder but has plenty of power for highway cruising. Takes premium gas which is a bummer.

I took it for a test drive on Saturday and thought it was peppy enough for my needs. I really liked it but it was an east coast car and had tons of rust. The mechanic strongly recommended I avoid purchasing it as a result. As an example the ground strap between the engine and frame had rusted in half. He said any work it would need would be more cost as he would have to deal with rust issues. For instance the head gaskets were leaking which is not normally a difficult job. However due to the bolts being rusted there was the possibility trying to remove them would either round the head or break it off completely. That would increase labor costs as he would have to deal with that. He took me out to the shop and showed me the underside of the car and pointed all this out. I was a little disappointed but I knew he was right.

So, I passed on it and found another 2008 Bean which was a single owner, Colorado car for a decent price by a private party seller. Set up an appointment to see him this Saturday (his earliest availability) and was ready to move on it.

Then, I saw a 2011 3.6R for a steal of a price and ended up purchasing it this morning. I really like the Bean but this 2011 was just too good of a deal to pass up.