LegacyGT.com

Karlor's Build Thread

Hey all. I'm dropping a first post and will be building off this thread in the coming weeks/months.

In summer (2019), bought a used 2006 Outback XT with 200k on the clock which had a new block put in at 170k, along with some other preventative maintenance updates. The car is overall in great shape, especially for salt-state MN, and is completely stock at this point aside from a rear muffler delete and wheels/flaps done from the previous owner.:

I have been driving this car minimally over the last year, hardly even 5k miles total [edit #1: It's more miles than 5k but under 10k, just can't check at the moment], done 4 oil changes, and this past October 2020 noticed the turbo was weeping oil from its bottom side. I garaged the car and pulled the turbo for examination. I'll admit that this is the first turbo vehicle I've owned, so am using my best guesses in my inspection.

It was definitely oil leaking, and when I finally got the turbo up on the bench and went to spin off the bolts securing the oil outlet pipe, it seemed like one of them almost twisted loose with hardly any effort. As much as I'd like to believe that the leak was from the loose bolt or outlet pipe gasket, upon further inspection it seems in my opinion that I've got a bit of shaft play and I can see what looks like a bit of scoring on the turbo shell, although I'm not sure.

-->Clip of the play<--

-->clip 2 - turbine wiggled from the exhaust side <--

Not sure exactly how to proceed at this point. I'm thinking that having the oil tested might be a good idea, but I changed the oil in the car shortly before pulling the turbo so I'm not sure if it would be all telling. Prior to noticing the leak, the car seemed to drive fine.

Can anyone tell from the shaft play in the video link above or markings inside of the inlet flange if I have a significant likelihood of larger issue or engine damage? Would be happy to post any other pics or a vid if it would help.

[edit #2: Prior to noticing the oil leak I had been gathering parts to upgrade. Laying in wait I have: Cobb AP, Invidia Catted DP, Cobb Air Intake w/Box, IAG Air-Oil Separator, magnetic oil pan bolt, and still waiting for shipment on a Cobb UP w/EGT sensor and Cobb Inlet.]. 12/31/20

[edit #3: Just confirmed shipment of a brand new turbo from the man himself JmP6889928.]. 12/31/20

Thanks for any input, on the turbo or otherwise, sorry for the multiple edits, and happy new years, 2021 is gonna be sweet!

IMG_0707.thumb.JPG.29a5eaef866b7b159e65ff8f81250040.JPG

IMG_2129.thumb.JPG.83f8690e9ccf456837e6700992d64a7c.JPG

Edited by Karlor
Photos

Hi welcome to the forum. Why four oil changes in 5,000 miles? Was there something other than an oil leak that warranted pulling the turbo? Making any odd noises or any other weird behavior?

From the clip the play looks like it could be excessive but it is a journal bearing turbo and they all have play that gets taken up when pressurized oil hits them. How’s the in and out play?

Good question about my change frequency. I did my first change immediately after purchase and then decided to switch to Rotella T6 shortly after this first.

I’ll need to double check my total mileage on the car [see edit in post #1], ‘twas a late night NYE post and I wanted to get something up. Maybe its more like 9k. I'm fairly certain I'm hovering right about 3200 miles for the the middle two changes, and this final one I did because winter and I wanted to get one done before snow and cold. I unfortunately didn't see the oil leak until after I finished up my most recent oil change.

No weird noises so far as I can tell, guess I was just trying to get a few solid oil changes done.

I just bought a brand new turbo from JMP and forwarded this thread to him.

Edited by Karlor