LegacyGT.com

Auto High Beam settings

Hello. Just purchased 2019 Legacy Sport. I have tried searching but haven't found a solid answer. Is there a sensitivity setting for the auto high beam assist? Driving on the highway the lights will switch to lows even with no oncoming cars.

Also with the homelink rearview mirror, if you hold in on the green button that turns the auto dimming mirror on/off, the compass goes away and it come up with number 1-15 like its some sort of setting. Does anyone know what that does?

Also with the homelink rearview mirror, if you hold in on the green button that turns the auto dimming mirror on/off, the compass goes away and it come up with number 1-15 like its some sort of setting. Does anyone know what that does?

It allows you to adjust the compass for the magnetic declination (the difference between true north and magnetic north) at your location. It's even explained in the Owners Manual.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I don't like anything on my headlights to be AUTO. I don't haver auto HB's, but do have auto LB's. I find they tend to come on way too late, say, for rainy days or at dusk/dawn, when being seen is more important than whether you can see fine without them on.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

[Auto LB's] tend to come on way too late, say, for rainy days or at dusk/dawn, when being seen is more important than whether you can see fine without them on.

That's the intended purpose of DRLs. You are aware, I hope, that there is a 3-step ambient light sensitivity adjustment for the auto low beams.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I found it accidently sitting at work one day.

There is a table of such adjustments in the Owners Manual.

spacer.png

That's the intended purpose of DRLs. You are aware, I hope, that there is a 3-step ambient light sensitivity adjustment for the auto low beams.

I did not know that (or maybe I did when I read the OM 3 years ago and then forgot) - I'll reacquaint myself with it and do some testing.

Regardless, I want my LB headlights on more frequently than most people and likely more often than the system is sensitive to. For instance, my drive to work is East during the morning and west during the evening. At certain times of year that's nearly blinding. There're also days where it's drizzling or snowing on bright enough days where the system might not react. I like to have my LB's on in those instances, to make myself more than just a shadow in someone's mirrors.

What I'd like to know, is whether the auto LB's is tied to the when the dash lights dim. If it is, then I can tell you right now that the setting is not to my liking.

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

What I'd like to know, is whether the auto LB's is tied to the when the dash lights dim.

The two functions may or may not use the same sensor (I don't remember), but they definitely switch independently. In my 2015 Legacy, as currently configured, at dusk on a clear day the auto low beam headlights typically come on about 10 to 15 minutes before the dash lights dim.

spacer.png

Doesn't anyone actually read the owner's manual any longer? All of these questions are answered there in detail. Yes, it is a huge manual, but that is because there are so many systems in the vehicle that require explanation so you can take full advantage of these features.

Doesn't anyone actually read the owner's manual any longer? All of these questions are answered there in detail. Yes, it is a huge manual, but that is because there are so many systems in the vehicle that require explanation so you can take full advantage of these features.

Relax. It's not the Bible. Besides, posts here are dwindling (nothing new there), so if you keep pushing away new posters you're just doing the site harm.

With that said, it being a huge manual (really a set of manuals, including the main owner's manual) has been mostly offset since it's available online for download and searchable.

/

@ammcinnis I looked up and found the auto on/off headlight setting in the OM (thanks!), but can't find any setting regarding the interior dimmer with a quick search. Must just be a locked-in setpoint.

'15 FB25

can't find any setting regarding the interior dimmer with a quick search. Must just be a locked-in setpoint.

I believe that's correct.

spacer.png

I played with the auto-headlight setting and the lowest setting "min" actually comes on at dusk. I didn't test exactly when, but it was around 1630 under overcast skies here in CT, which I was pretty impressed with.

I still don't like when they come on while leaving the garage in the middle of the day, so I'll stick with manual operation for now. I might see if my wife's 14 FXT has a lower setting, because she tends to drive with headlights off when they're warranted. I give her zero hard time, because I've got larger fish to fry when it comes to her...like closing all of the damned lids in the house tightly! lol

'15 FB25

The settings table starts on 3-44 of the 2019 manual, but adjustment for sensitivity only applies to the low beams, not the auto high beams.

Edit...ok it wasn't easy to find but check out 3-53 to lower high beam sensitivity.

Full disclosure i was told to RTFM before for other settings and was given the wrong page numbers so im always leery of that response....sometimes its in there but i get the feeling different years have different pages even within generations. Also the index can be hit or miss....

Edited by DougKelly20

i was told to RTFM before for other settings and was given the wrong page numbers so im always leery of that response....sometimes its in there but i get the feeling different years have different pages even within generations. Also the index can be hit or miss....

I am always disappointed when I see "RTFM" response to a post. I think if it's too hard to be courteous (and helpful) then perhaps it's better to remain silent.

P.S. I agree about the "index" being less than perfect.

I think if it's too hard to be courteous (and helpful) then perhaps it's better to remain silent.

I'm always happy to help someone who posts, "I've consulted the Owners Manual and/or searched the forum, but I can't find what I'm looking for." On the other hand, if you're too lazy to make even a token effort, I'm inclined to be too lazy to look it up for you.

spacer.png

I'm always happy to help someone who posts, "I've consulted the Owners Manual and/or searched the forum, but I can't find what I'm looking for." On the other hand, if you're too lazy to make even a token effort, I'm inclined to be too lazy to look it up for you.

That's not usually true. You usually get your dig in AND help.

I agree that those of us who feel compelled to ONLY get the dig in should STFU and not post. :)

'15 FB25