LegacyGT.com

Q: 6-Cylinder Head Gasket Issues?

I am considering the returning to the Subaru Outback family (having previously owned a 2005 Outback XT) and was considering the purchase of the LL Bean model which has the 6-cylinder engine. I know the 4-cylinder motor continued the well documented head gasket issues carried over from generation to generation. However I'm unclear if this was a weakness with the 6-cylinder motors. Does anyone know if this was or was not an issue?

I am also new to the third generation model (having owned a couple of second generation and a fourth generation version). Is there anything specific I need to check for when looking at them? I am also considering the fourth generation but the third generation seems to have some good pricing so I may consider it.

• 3 weeks later...

They all have their own problem. The outback xt had turbo issuses the N/A cars had head gasket issues. The H6 had tranny issues.

Not a lot of knowledge to spread there were less of them so they had fewer issues. There has been a couple of struggles reported with head gasket issusez. I would look into if they came with multillayer steal ones or like the N/a h4 composite if you are real concerned.

They all have their own problem. The outback xt had turbo issuses the N/A cars had head gasket issues. The H6 had tranny issues.

Not a lot of knowledge to spread there were less of them so they had fewer issues. There has been a couple of struggles reported with head gasket issusez. I would look into if they came with multillayer steal ones or like the N/a h4 composite if you are real concerned.

Thanks Rusty. I ended up purchasing a 2011 Outback 3.6R which was too good a deal to pass up.