LegacyGT.com

Can anyone figure out a related cause? Overheating/ Oil light '15 Legacy 2.5i

EDIT: P0021 INTAKE CAMSHAFT POSITION TIMING Over advanced Bank 2 is the engine code

Not low on oil

Not leakeing oil..

So I recently got a 15 Legacy 2.5i Limited.

Has about 195k miles currently.

Just drove it about 3,000 miles cross country and then some and had no issues at all.

No overheating

No oil lights.

Also the car felt very powerful.

I just had the recall done which was the front exhaust pipe.

Replaced Wuj 95 Fed Spec Kit - Subaru (SOA635157)

Replaced SOA635314

It was at a Subaru dealership.

Immediately the car felt somewhat less powerful or responsive....or possibly quieter from the exhaust note which made it seem slower? I'm not sure.

But I was gone for a month and then came back and drove the car 30 miles and the following all happened:

1) Heater didn't appear to be blowing hot air

2) Engine temp gauge was ALMOST to the hot marking

3) Oil temp from Navigation Display was as high as around 220-225 F

4) Oil light came on solid a few times but disappeared

Does this combo ring any bells? I haven't had a chance to even open the hood yet and wondering where to start diagnosing.

Thanks!!

The Count

Edited by Countchocula
Updated with engine code

First things first:

• Check the oil level!
  • Check the coolant level, both in the radiator and in the expansion reservoir!
  • Check the serpentine belt, idler pulleys, and belt tensioner.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all who replied.

Am back in town and hoping to get to the bottom of this.

Oil was not low.

Had a full oil change just in case with synthetic.

Turn off CEL and they come back within 5 minutes.

Stability, CEL, Brake from time to time and all the Eyesight buttons all lit up.

Have only driven for a few minutes..

Heat comes and goes

Temp still climbs OCCASSIONALLY

and High Coolant Temp came on once or twice (other times not)

P0021 INTAKE CAMSHAFT POSITION TIMING Over advanced Bank 2

Was the error.

What to check next?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Well if your engine got hot enough just once, these are delicate aluminum blocks. You very probably could have warped your head(s)/head gasket(s). It sounds like you have a clogged up or faulty variable valve timing solenoid due to missed oil change gunk clogging it up, or it just bit the dust. That would be why your car is over-advancing timing. I got about 180K before my VVT solenoids failed in my 2005.

It would be a good idea to use a block tester fluid kit from an auto parts store to at least see if you have an obvious internal head gasket leak that causes exhaust gasses to end up in your coolant. If you fail that then.... well how much do you like this car?

If you pass, then I'd still want to check your head gaskets externally, as well as pressure test your cooling system to see if it leaks out the heads, or if you have coolant leaks in general causing air to get into your cooling system and causing the coolant to get a little too hot.

Have you burped your cooling system? Probably should do that to prevent any potential/further damage occurring.

Thanks Guys

Appreciate the replies.

I'll likely have to pay for a diag but was hoping to know what it was beforehand and see if it's anything I could do.

I'm not mechanically inclined (obviously :) ) but can follow instructions to replace parts myself.

If I'm looking at the VVT Solenoid. Since it's on Bank 2, would I just replace the one side if it did fail, or do both? I'm not planning on keeping the car much longer just need to get it running right.

Will try looking at the head gasket stuff. I'm pretty confident I didn't run it too long at hot but maybe I did.

Bank 2 will solve your check engine code issues and I’d imagine your other one is on the way out if you lost one solenoid already. If you’re planning to dump the car after this then I’d replace just the one. They’re not super cheap.