LegacyGT.com

Adding AUX input (Grom USB3?)

Hey everyone.

I'm sorry if this is one of those beating a dead horse topics but I did look some and didn't find anything.

I have a 2006 Outback XT with the dual climate controls. The stereo sounds decent so I really don't want to go doing the JDM swap and all that.

Does anybody have a good way to add an Aux input to this stereo?

I saw a youtube video for a GROM-USB3 but it doesn't appear that this will work with a USA car.

I also saw this video at one point that uses the taps for the FM module on the stock radio and adds a plug there, so that when your AUX cable is disconnected you can listen to the radio as normal, but when you plug in a cable, it lets you listen to whatever is plugged in.

*edit* found it:

There's also the unit's that go between the antenna and the antenna plug to get music playing from a phone or whatever.

Has anybody got any creative ideas on how I can play music from my phone through my stock stereo system?

Edited by Mr. Electric Wizard

Which stereo do you have?

P201-UH, P203-UH, P204-UH ?

I have an '05 and I swapped in a P204-UH and have GROM on the Aux.

The P204-UH is plug and play in 05-06 and has an Aux option.

Jazzy is one of the more common ways of adding a phono plug to '05-06, but many phones no longer have one.

Once you've got the rca's you're golden though. I use a bluetooth adapter with the 3.5mm aux jack in my legacy, lots of options depending on how much you want to spend. No track forward on the cheapies like this one, but it gets the job done. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bluetooth-Audio-Car-Kit/738713241

rca to 3.5mm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-4ft-RCA-Audio-Y-Adapter-Cable-3-5mm-to-2-RCA/274112443

Thanks everyone! I have the stock stereo that has the 6 disk changer inside the radio if that helps to identify. Not sure what the model number is. Is there an easy way to tell by the front layout as to which model I have? I bought one of the DigiKey jacks from the YouTube video (from the first post) but haven't received it yet.

Which stereo do you have?

P201-UH, P203-UH, P204-UH ?

I have an '05 and I swapped in a P204-UH and have GROM on the Aux.

The P204-UH is plug and play in 05-06 and has an Aux option.

Jazzy is one of the more common ways of adding a phono plug to '05-06, but many phones no longer have one.

That's a cool little device. Should have waited for responses here before I ordered the jack from digi-key. It was only $2 though. Ha!

Thanks everyone! I have the stock stereo that has the 6 disk changer inside the radio if that helps to identify. Not sure what the model number is. Is there an easy way to tell by the front layout as to which model I have? I bought one of the DigiKey jacks from the YouTube video (from the first post) but haven't received it yet.

Just look at the front above the cd changer slot, the model number should be there.

Just look at the front above the cd changer slot, the model number should be there.

I looked on ebay and there are several P204-UH units for sale there.

Can you explain how the AUX plug works on this unit? I see there is an option on the right dial but don't see a jack on the back of the head unit.

If I upgrade to a P204-HU would this unit be plug and play:

https://gromaudio.com/store/aux1_adapters/subaru-05-09-aux-cable-input-car-stereo-kit.html

There are adapters that convert the iPhone lightning plug to 3.5mm stereo, so no worries there.

From the Grom site, it seems that this is just a plug and play module which would be awesome if that's the case.

Edited by Mr. Electric Wizard

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2008 radio with the SRS wow upgrade and it sounded amazing compared to the stock 06 radio. Can include a stock Aux input for you too and the wiring I made to hook up to the stereo. Also comes with a ground loop isolator to cancel any noise from the alternator. If I still have the original center console part with out the aux, I will include the center console piece to retain 100% factory aux input if you want. $150 shipped.

Also have a Jazzy kit that I couldn't use on my original 2006 radio since I found out the cd changer was broken after I tried to install the Jazzy kit with the ground loop isolator too. $50 shipped.

I upgraded to a JDM kit so I don't need any of it anymore