LegacyGT.com

CVT magic

I don't know about other forum members, but whenever I read about CVT's, I get the impression of this highly technical piece of equipment that should never be touched by "mere mortals." I have even read where CVT's need to be almost serviced within a specially clean environment so as to eliminate dust etc, and I have imagined in my mind that the technicians performing such services are all wearing white coats and surgical gloves, and all the parts are carefully removed and placed and numbered ready for reassembly, and that the whole procedure is somewhat similar to open heart surgery. :lol:

Well I've just stumbled onto this Subaru CVT video, and it has blown all my pre-conceived ideas out of the water. The mechanic is so nonchalant and matter of fact, and the various parts are simply wrenched apart and placed on the counter wherever he has room, and if he doesn't have room then he just pushes stuff aside and makes room.

I'm not suggesting that I now think CVT servicing is "simple" and that we all can do it at home ... but it has certainly taken some of the mystique out of it for me. ;)

... whenever I read about CVT's, I get the impression of this highly technical piece of equipment that should never be touched by "mere mortals." I have even read where CVT's need to be almost serviced within a specially clean environment so as to eliminate dust etc ...

Thanks for posting a very informative video. It's true that the Subaru CVTs are mechanically simpler than the few GM automatic transmissions (THM125, 4T60) that I have disassembled. But the unique characteristics of the CVT, particularly the Variator (chain/pulley) assembly, place stringent constraints on cleanliness during assembly.

From personal experience, disassembling a complex automatic transmission is relatively easy (but messy). However, putting one back together so it will operate reliably for 100,000 miles (160,000 km) is not a trivial task.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Will a regular transmission shop rebuild a Subaru CVT? The dealer won't. I bet that is SOA policy, not necessarily Subaru Japan.

I have heard that a lot of transmission shops just do exchanges but I have been out of the automotive repair business loop for about 25 years.