LegacyGT.com

Squeaking sound from front-right when breaking or turning

Hi everyone

First off, thank you to all of the users on this forum. I've been lurking for quite a while now (maybe ~5 years), and the advice here has saved my ass on many occasions!

Anyway, I'm having an issue with my Japanese 2013 Legacy.

I'm hearing a strange squeaking sound from the front-right of the car. It seems to be coming from the tyre area.

The sound only appears when I'm breaking (low-med pressure), or when turning (even just slightly). Turning left seems to cause the sound more than turning right does, and it seems to be getting worse. I've had the car for about 2 weeks now, and the squeaking is definitely annoying me more now!

I have a feeling this is a break issue. However, it seems weird to me that turning the wheels would also cause the issue - maybe something to do with the steering components?

I'm hoping to get the tyre off tomorrow to have a look around, but wanted to see if the Subaru experts here had any ideas or pointers?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Definitely pull the wheel of and check your brake pads.

I had a similar issue with a rock getting stuck behind the brake shield and rotor (I drive on gravel roads quite almost daily).

Also had a very bad day once, I got a flat on the right front (driver side here in the US) and was in a rush to move the rear to the front and put the spare on the rear (as one should always do on FWD or AWD) and I forgot to tighten the front lugs all the way. I drove 35 miles (mostly interstate) to work with no problem and on the trip home I noticed a major shake and the wheel was doing exactly what you are experiencing.

I doubt the wheel is lose in your case I would suspect brake pads or something between the sheild.

Btw welcome to the group "finally" I was just like you and lurked here from around 2008 till I bought my 2010 LGT in 2015 and finally became a member.

Also please share pics we ENVY your body style over here.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I attempted to take the wheel off today, and it turns out one of the nuts has been severely cross-threaded... It took a fair bit of elbow greese to get it off, and both the nut and stud are munted (see pic attached). Looks like someone's gone to town on it with an impact wrench!

I've ordered another stud and will hopefully be fixing it later next week.

On the plus side, the squeaking has stopped!

I have a feeling the cross-threaded nut was holding the wheel at a slightly weird angle. I did also take the wheel and break hub off though, so that might have been what fixed it (maybe a stone or something?).

Cheers again for the help. I've attached a pic of the car if anyone's interested [emoji846]92775afd751890b835decd48fbf3f34f.jpg5b6b37a76f2ab36deef1d87edd7369af.jpg7ebf4ff17c0fde7e58ade5b44f72d42c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

And I thought my "loose lugnuts" story was just an off base blab. Then here you are making it 100% relevant.

Glad to see you found the issue.

Since its new to you and If you've still got a "warranty" of some sorts or even if not it doesn't hurt to ask the dealer/seller to help cover the costs. Most dealers will have a tech do an inspection and they either did the damage or knew of it and will fix it for free. But If it was a private seller then they may have not known.