LegacyGT.com

functional body parts

moviemadness

so the lip improves aerodynamic efficiency?

bodykits, such as ings west, c west, veilside are proven to improve aerodynamics and engine cooling as well.. I was wondering if there was one for the legacy as well.

I don't know about the cooling properties, but I believe the lip and body kits only give a real aerodynamic benefit at very high speeds, say >120 mph.

Sti parts are said to have actual aero dynamic improvemnets... not sure exactly how they help.

Bodykits however function in making your car look "bling".

Some parts reduce lift, such as Zerosports, Greddy, and a few others that has been used for road racing..

Keefe

so the lip improves aerodynamic efficiency?

bodykits, such as ings west, c west, veilside are proven to improve aerodynamics and engine cooling as well.. I was wondering if there was one for the legacy as well.

The reason why some "kits" are rice and sit low is because some of the kits were originally designed for racing use (big air dam openings for radiator cooling and super low lips for reducing air lift from under the chassis).. rear diffusers keep the car straight and creates a vaccuum under the car to have that road suction (see formula and F1 underchassis designs).. some race cars have just the front lip and side skirts and an open rear which also makes a road suction as well. it's another way to create a vaccuum cup.

It's all in the name for grip, not efficicency... cuz the more grip you have, the more resistance you have to deal with, and the more your engine needs to fight this grip..

so in terms of rice, I could care less. It's just silly driving on the street with super low body kits because half of the people think it looks cool and they dont even understand why the kit was designed that way makes me throw up in my mouth.. it just looks cool :icon_roll (why the hell does anyone need a race body kit on a street car?? to be different?? more like to be silly and have too much money on their hands, oh well, "whatever floats their boat")

Keefe

well then if the bodykits do offer "grip" then are they still useless on your car unless you're going over 100mph?

some can start working as low as 65.. but that really depends on the kit itself.. nevertheless, it's all designed for highways speeds and up.

If want to see grip in action below 65mph, see an autox A-Mod class car.. those guys have more wings than a squadron of blue angels:

http://www.blueridgehillclimb.com/images/bowling_resized.gif

More about Solo1 (Hillclimb time trials):

http://www.blueridgehillclimb.com/

Keefe

is the STi lip functional? what does it do?

what about functional bodykits for this car?

I have the Pleasure Racing Grille (which is functional for the air intake box). It's a similar design to the C-west induction grilles you see on the WRXs and Evos and even S2000 race cars.

I think Hippo Sleek and the Dolphin Body kit offers a really good front air dam for FMIC and Radiator work.. Works Bell has a hood-heat dissapator (similar to the 2003-05 WRC Subaru Rally cars for the FMIC opening for the hood.

Combined with the side skirts on the car, this will reduce lift from the air coming up under the car and which Subaru designed the GT with the following parts which helps the reduction of lift:

Front skip plate

Air deflectors for the rear tires

Flatter underchassis floor

Exhaust piping tucked up as far as possible into the car.

As for the STi Lip, I really think it's just aethestics more than anything, it's not low enough (and not far out enough) and the only thing it's doing is not allowing the 2" of the lower lip of the bumper winds go under the car, it's diverting to the side of the car instead.. I dont think that makes it enough for the driver to feel the difference.

The rear OEM wing is also for looks. The 06 STi rear roof wing is the more functional piece that we should all be looking for instead of a giant aluminum "rice" wing (which makes so sense to me on some of the FWD cars on stock suspension parts).

Keefe

in regards to "riciness" if you have enough go, I think that SOME show is allowed, but that's just me. :)

I can't justify an exterior body-aerodynamics and suspension mod unless it's functional engineering-wise.. and no, a wing can not be functional in terms that it can make people say "oooo" and "wow".

Keefe

in regards to "riciness" if you have enough go, I think that SOME show is allowed, but that's just me. :)

I think you should do what you want with your own car, regardless of whether other people think it's dorky or not. I'm not into wings and body kits personally, though.

All those body kits do is make the car go slower in a straight line. Vents especially ones that don't go anywhere, body panels that aren't rigid, and huge rear wing all contribute to more drag. Drag makes you go slow.

Even in the racing world, if you were to remove all restrictions on aerodynamic aids, you wouldn't see a huge wing on a car. While wings do create a lot of down force, they also create a lot of drag. It's a 1 to 5 ratio of downforce to drag. If you were to let the engineers go crazy, it's all about the undertray. A good undertray can produce a downforce to drag ratio of 1 to 3. But undertrays won't sell in the aftermarket world since no one can see it. If wings have to be used, they would be actively adjustable, trimed flat for acceleration and high speeds, full deflection for braking and cornering. And these wings wouldn't be mounted on the body, they would be mounted to the uprights so the forces produced don't affect the suspension setup.

With a street car, you simply aren't going to be cornering fast enough to make use of aerodynamic downforce, plus the tires won't hold up. Any cornering you do is mostly mechanical grip from the suspension setup. If you are trying to go fast in a straight line, well, a big wing is the last thing you want.

Archived