LegacyGT.com

How do I flash my bright lights?

I hadn’t noticed this before, but during a long drive at night on back roads, multiple drivers flashed their brights at me because they thought my bright lights were on.

They weren’t, although I was using the auto brights feature.

How can I flash my bright lights to let them know that my brights weren’t on?

Lot of complaints about bright LEDs on Outback forum but haven’t read about it here.

You just pull the light stalk back towards you and let go. Another thing you can do is use the Auto setting for the lights and then push the stalk forward to activate the high beams. Leave it there and the high beam assist will take over turning highs on and off. This will show people that your highs were turned down, they’ll be able to see the change. That’s what I use on back roads at night. The system works extremely well.

On mine the system even turned the high beams off as I was approaching a vehicle ahead of me. Anyone should be able to see the change as you drive towards them or approach them from the rear. The light stalk has 3 positions, center for no high beams, pushed forward for continuous high beam or high beam assist, and back towards you for momentary activation of high beams.

Edited by Jp1975

As Jp1975 said just pull the stock toward you to flash the brights, this works if the headlights are on or off.

If this happens a lot you might consider taking it to the dealer and having your headlights adjusted. Bright headlights, i.e. LED and Xenon, usually don't bother other drivers but headlights that are aimed into their faces usually do.

The automatic system does work well... it shuts off the brights so far ahead of time, the other drivers weren’t aware they were ever on.

I wasn’t aware of a third position. Just tested, worked great...

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Blackbr

• 2 weeks later...