LegacyGT.com

Turbo Swap Into NA?

dahoseman

I didn't see a satisfying answer to this already.

I have a 2005 Outback XT with an STI drivetrain. The body has taken a real beating over the years and a lot of suspension and body parts have been falling apart, so I was already thinking of swapping my drive train into a Forester XT. Several parts crapped out recently, so it's time to abandon XT.

I recently found a similar generation 5sp Forester that had an engine failure, which would be a good 'shell'.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to swap a turbo drivetrain into a NA vehicle?

Are the wiring harnesses compatible?

you did 6mt turbo engine into 5mt turbo car? that's a really simple swap, relatively.

now you want to swap a 6mt turbo engine into a 5mt non turbo body thats a different car. electrical is going to be different. ecu is different.

paying a shop? 5-10,000$

doing it yourself? 0-10,000$

costs depend on how complete the forester is and whether you can source parts from a turbo forester. if you can find a turbo forester electrical, swap is difficult as you have to get all the electronics working again

Oof. That is what I feared. If it's that big of a mess, I'll keep looking.

The Forester is currently complete, but with a serious engine knock and sitting on a trailer in someone's back yard. The guy doesn't want to mess with it and just wants to get rid of it. I don't have much experience with the NA Subaru's, so I wasn't sure what is compatible between NA and turbo models