LegacyGT.com

Grrr...coilover rattle

Chief_Wiggum

Been running around on my new coilover setup (Cusco Zero-2s) for a couple weeks now. I'm noticing a rattle from the front right over just about every bump I go over. Other 3 corners are fine.

Re-checked the top hat bolts and all are fine, camber bolts are tight as well.

It sounds almost like the strut shaft nut is loose, but I can't tighten it without spinning the strut shaft. The marks are still aligned, but I'd like to try and tighten it to spec, any ideas?

Been running around on my new coilover setup (Cusco Zero-2s)...It sounds almost like the strut shaft nut is loose, but I can't tighten it without spinning the strut shaft. The marks are still aligned, but I'd like to try and tighten it to spec, any ideas?

PM on the way...

~Sucka-Duck~

I had this same problem with my car recently. I used an impact wrench to get it started, and then used a torque wrench to torque it to spec.

Another method would be to get a tool to hold the shaft in place while you tighten the nut. I wouldn't use just anything 'cause you wouldn't want to scratch that shaft, but I think they make a special tool for that sort of thing.

Well, I think I figured it out. I pulled the strut to tighten the top nut. The upper spring perch must be keyed to the shaft. You can use a spanner wrench to hold the shaft while you torque it down.

The nut was just a hair under the spec. Tightened it up and the noise is greatly reduced. Now at least both sides sound the same :D

Archived