LegacyGT.com

Sound in dashboard at start and stop

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a Subaru outback 2006 2.5L :spin:

Since I got it, I've been hearing a strange sound in the dashboard each time I start and stop the car.

I have two records:

-

-

What could be the problem? :confused:

I sounds like a motor running and the only motors I know of under the dash are the HVAC blower and the HVAC servo motors (if it has auto climate control). In the first video, I can hear the blower separately from the noise, so it's not that. It could be one of the servo motors, but I've never heard one sound like that. They normally make a ticking or grinding sound when they go bad. This sounds more like a pump. Have you checked under the hood to see if the noise is being transmitted through the firewall?

My first thought is maybe fuel lines somehow got bent or are not secured properly and are transmitting vibrations to the firewall. A defective fuel pulse damper might exaggerate the problem. Turbo models have a fuel pump controller that initially runs the fuel pump at full speed, then reduces the duty cycle under low load conditions. I'm not sure if non-turbo models have that system or not.

A mechanic's stethoscope would be useful in pinpointing the problem. Lisle makes a nice one.