LegacyGT.com

Help! Purchasing an 06 LGT wagon Limited

Hey guys new to the forum,

Im currently looking at a 2006 Legacy Wagon GT limited. Car has 244,000 Kms on it and is pretty much stock from what i can tell. Seller did get a pre purchase inspection amd everything checks out. I know about the Banjo bolt and the turbo and when i asked the seller he had no knowledge if it had ever been addressed. Car runs fine and is very clean inside and out except for a minor bump on the driver side. He wanted $5000 originally (colourful canadian dollars) (yes i am canadian) but is willing to part with it for $3800. Worth it or pass? Thanks guys.

Hard to say for sure without pics, but that's a good price for a clean wagon. I'd get a pre-purchase inspection to be sure mechanicals are OK. Should include at least compression/leakdown, and a downpipe drop to check the turbo for play if possible. Getting a datalog and/or learning view pulled would also be good, but contingent on having access to someone who knows Subarus or setting up to do it yourself.

I'd look into a compression and leakdown test if it hasn't been done.

Would be good to check codes and also helpful if you can log a pull or two just to make sure everything is healthy.

If i buy it im going to take it for a detailed inspection. Any specific things i should be looking for when pulling?

Take it to a shop to have the compression/leakdown and turbo checked BEFORE you purchase. You'll be sad if you buy a $3,800 car and find out you need another $3,800 in engine work in short order. The streets don't accept returns.

Given you're in Canadia you will want to check the underside to see the extent that rust has set in. Make sure they have refreshed the undercoat etc. As someone who owns a Canadian Wagon the rust is real on these things. Check the entire exhaust system down there, if its stock the pipes have rusted together it'll just mean you'll some extra work to do.

Assuming you have consistent compression and no leaks, buy that sucker. $3800 is a steel, that's ~$2800 USD for those of us stateside.

• 3 weeks later...