LegacyGT.com

60,000 Mile Service - Required or Recommended Items?

Hello all,

I called my local Subaru dealer to schedule the 60K service for my 2015 Legacy 2.5. I told them I need the 60K maintenance except for tire rotation (not driving due to COVID), engine and cabin filters (I can change those).

The price quoted was $682.00 and includes:

-Oil and Filter

-Spark Plugs

-Brake Fluid

-Fuel Induction Service

-AWD Service

-Inspect everything else per the manufacturer's maintenance schedule

I questioned the fuel induction service and AWD service.

For the fuel service, they disconnect the fuel lines and run a chemical to clean the lines. I asked if they change the fuel filter as well and unbeknownst to me, this car doesn't have one (according to them, anyway).

For the AWD service, they lube the differentials.

My question to the experts, are the fuel and AWD services necessary or recommended? I don't see them in the maintenance booklet and I'm afraid it's another add-on by the dealer to increase their revenue and empty my wallet.

Edited by jobjohnny

I asked if they change the fuel filter as well and unbeknownst to me, this car doesn't have one (according to them, anyway).

Pure BS. The filter is mounted inside the fuel tank, along with the pump. It's not easy or inexpensive to replace, though.

My question to the experts, are the fuel and AWD services necessary or recommended? I don't see them in the maintenance booklet and I'm afraid it's another add-on by the dealer to increase their revenue and empty my wallet.
No, they're not. You are correct in your assessment. Don't pay for anything that's not scheduled in the Warranty & Maintenance Guide unless it's to fix a specific problem.

See: https://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284045&d=1587362110

You might also want to consider finding a different, more ethical dealer or a competent independent shop to work on your car in the future.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Find an independent. You can do it yourself to save money too.

I never did the plugs in my Subaru but last month in the bmw I did oil, oil filter, spark plugs, front brakes (rotors and pads) and a brake fluid flush in my driveway and it didn’t take long. I had simple tools and a jack. The longest was the brake fluid flush since I had to jack up one corner at a time.

Thanks for the replies. They've been very helpful. I asked the dealer for a breakdown of all the services and associated prices for their typical 60K mile maintenance. (I rounded all the costs) Here's what they said:

-Oil change - $69.00

-Differential Service - $143.00

-Brake Fluid Service - $67.00

-Fuel System Service - $98.00

-Spark Plugs - $306.00

-Tire Rotation - $20.00

-Engine Air Filter - $35.00.

I'm doing the engine air filter myself and don't need the tire rotation. Based off of the advice I've received here, I'm going to tell them to scrap the fuel system and differential services.

The price for "Brake Fluid Service" seems suspiciously low. Insist that they tell you exactly what they propose to do. The Warranty & Maintenance Guide specifies a complete brake system flush, right down to the calipers, replacing all the old, possibly water-contaminated fluid in the system with new. The price quoted seems more like a basic "top up the master cylinder reservoir" job. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The price for "Brake Fluid Service" seems suspiciously low. Insist that they tell you exactly what they propose to do. The Warranty & Maintenance Guide specifies a complete brake system flush, right down to the calipers, replacing all the old, possibly water-contaminated fluid in the system with new. The price quoted seems more like a basic "top up the master cylinder reservoir" job.

That was the case with my local dealer, when I asked why it was so cheap.

Also, the diff service seems to be low for a full drain and fill, but too expensive for a simple level check. I’d be curious to know what they do for this service.

I’d also add an ATF/CVT fluid exchange into the mix. I plan to do mine every 50k+ miles for each of my Subies.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I've been getting close to the 60k as well and was wondering the same. Based on above comments above, I may push changing the plugs till later. Usually do my own oil change yearly in the fall, think ima push that for the spring as well. barely put on 2k this year.

I've been getting close to the 60k as well and was wondering the same. Based on above comments above, I may push changing the plugs till later. Usually do my own oil change yearly in the fall, think ima push that for the spring as well. barely put on 2k this year.

What KIND of miles are you putting on your vehicle? Infrequent long trips or frequent short trips? If the latter (or even close to it), stick with your annual oil change.

'15 FB25

The price for "Brake Fluid Service" seems suspiciously low. Insist that they tell you exactly what they propose to do. The Warranty & Maintenance Guide specifies a complete brake system flush, right down to the calipers, replacing all the old, possibly water-contaminated fluid in the system with new. The price quoted seems more like a basic "top up the master cylinder reservoir" job.

I called and here's what they said, "The brake lines are disconnected and they drain the fluid from the system by pushing new fluid in while the old fluid drains out." Sounds to me like that's a flush?

Yep, sounds like a flush. I didn't do it to the Legacy but I did it in my BMW last month. The flushing part takes minutes. The long part since I don't have a lift was jacking up each corner and taking the wheel off. The bleeder kit was $50 and a bottle of fluid $11. So next time I do it, it will cost me $11 and less than an hour of time.

The brake lines are disconnected!? WTH kind of flush is that???

Answer: A flush guaranteed to leave air in the system.

The only time I can think of that disconnecting brake lines would be appropriate is bench bleeding the master cylinder, and that would have to be followed by a normal system bleed after reconnecting the lines.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Now I'm second guessing myself. Perhaps the dealer didn't tell me they'd disconnect the brake lines. I do remember though them saying they'd pour in the new fluid and have it flush out the old fluid.

I’m sorry I wasn’t clearer with my sarcasm, bud. I didn’t actually think they’d disconnect the lines - that would be ludicrous! :eek:

So, all in all, it sounds like what they’re offering isn’t too far from reasonable. Have you inquired with a local shop how much lower they can do everything for?

'15 FB25