LegacyGT.com

Bp9 S402 in the states

m1-4, n1-49, n50-99, r100-999,L1000-9999

m = 120km

n49 = 120km

n99 = 100km

r = 100km

L = 80km

no traffic cams except in city, limited police presence, everyone wants to be Colin McRae, farm equipment always has the right away.

m has divided roads with wide margins and straight runs

n (lower #) has double yellow center lines and sometimes actual grass strip

n (upper #) has single center line and edge lines with a partial margin

r has center dotted lines and single edge lines that the edge of the pavement

L are paved cart tracks so no lines. These are often walking trails, too.

The most aggressive driver gets right of way unless farm equipment is involved.

Google maps was genius level for taking us off a fast N and dumping us on a Farm equipment cluttered L to save a couple 100m's of distance. It paid to make a turn list before heading out.

After the second car got damaged, I ripped off the mirror and threw it in the trunk. A missing driver's side mirror is amazing in deciding who wins the right of way discussion.

We did meet a Colin wannabe outside of Galway on a little lane. We were running about 120-140k (fairly straight with good sight lines), "Colin" passed in a Toyota Celica (looked like Gex's) going fast. I hesitate to use the word double, but he did drift the turn across the valley. I rolled down the window just to hear him go.

They haven't tried because it can't be done. The law is in place for a reason no matter how silly. If they sell a version in the states and the car is younger then 25 i am 99.9999999999% certain you cannot bring it in the country unless it is show and display. As someone who owns 2 RHD JDM cars trust me. I would have my EVO4 sitting in storage in Japan already if this were the case.

You should read NHSTA website on importing vehicles there is a list of vehicles eligible for importation. The 2005 & 2006 Forester is on the eligible importation list.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/elig120115.pdf

What you are probably getting confused on is this is not an automatic process. You have to create a docket with NHSTA to get your car on the eligible list and provide amplifying information as to why it should be allowed.

Cars that were never made for the US market are significantly harder because there is no crash and safety data. That is where the 25 year rule would come into play.

I think they build off each other.

I'm reading this as, "just because there's a substantially similar version of the chassis in LHD doesn't automatically mean you can go get the RHD.

However:

The RHD version has the possibility to be certified/imported as substantially similar if the manufacturer goes through the steps to say they're similar.Sounds like he's saying Subaru went ahead and did it in this case.

As to whether or not that model is eligible or not, is it a highly desirable model? Genuinely asking. And is it not able to be recreated here?

I feel the Venn diagram between people who want a special subaru and people who can build said subaru is a single circle. Alternatively, as a continent, the Venn diagram of North Americans who want a Forester and North Americans that want a special edition Forester is two circles. Just not sure there's much if any significant demand to make it happen. Which is probably why we don't see a bunch on the road.

Kinda like why don't most Toyota Avalon owners just import some JDM market luxury Toyota. They're not really the demographic of people that importing a car is a solution to their needs/wants.

Mildly off-topic but kinda on - I feel most performance Subarus are all a little work away from performing similarly. Like how hard does someone have to try to make a WRX as fast as an STi? Or a type RA? Or really how long can you say a SpecB is better than a regular GT? It's just parts, not really a impassable gulf in the modding world. Other people can do their own thing, but pining for a higher performance Subaru when you have a lesser performance Subaru doesn't really make sense. Which I know sounds narrow minded and I'm ignoring huge swaths of the market, but.

I mean how is a s402 REALLY different than my wagon? Probably not faster or better suited for any task in any appreciable way. Interior trim and tweaked bodywork? Blue? Looks like it was rear ended then also hit the car in front, smushing the bumpers in?

My lawn - get. off. it. Also, what are those clouds doing up there? *yells at clouds*

Yes, that is right!

As for the S402 the biggest difference between the tuned by STI (next most comparable trim level) are the Engine, ECU, Fenders, shocks, springs and rear sway bar in trunk. The S402 also has 2.5L engine and has its own twin scroll turbo specific to it.

I would say the difference is greater between a US Legacy Spec B and JDM Legacy Spec B than an S402 vs a tuned by STI Legacy.

As for the front and rear bumper that is stock for JDM. The US market got the fat bumper version.