LegacyGT.com

re: different colors having different layers of paint

SOmeohad had mentioned on here before that a dealership had told them that different the different colored cars had different numbers of layers of paint, i.e. most had two, with the exceptions of white having three and black only one. I emailed subaru on this, and received a response saying that this was not true and that all colors had the same number of coats (from the way they scratch this number is apparently anout 1/2 :lol: ) Anyway, thought I'd put whoever's mind at rest so they could feel free to get the color of their choice...

I think they have to run to a particular standard and Im sure all the cars would be sprayed the same regardless of the colour. Next ppl will be saying that depending on which country they are going to will depend on the paint thickness. Not true at all, again there is a standard that all Scoob's must pass prior to export from Japan.

I work for a paint company and I can tell you that film build (paint thickness) costs money. The manufacturers are looking for the best coverage in the thinnest build and fewest coats. THe thinner the film build, the less paint that must be applied to the car (hence less $ cost for the manufacturer). Typically, your car has ~5 treatmenst/coats of paint on them from the factory. 1 - Phosphate wash - to clean the metal and give the ecoat something to "bite" on to.... 2 - E-coat - an electrostatic primer coating applied in a bath (the car is submerged) 3 - Primer surfacer - used for intercoat adheasion of the topcoat to the e-coat. Also fills any imperfections in the metal. 4 - Topcoat - this is your color coat (i.e - Regal Blue) 5 - Clearcoat - the clear (or sometimes pearlized) coat put on for UV resistance and to protect your colorcoat. Hope this helps to clarify....

Archived