LegacyGT.com

Whining noise from engine

Its hard to advise you not to drop the DP without being there to hear the sound.

these vf40's are know to have shaft bearing issues. BUT normally you'll get the P0011/P0021 CEL. Like most of have over the 16 years I've been on here.

How many miles on the car ?

I don't recall getting either of those codes.

154,000 miles

Have you started the car since the this issue ?

Have you done a oil change and checked the drain pan for metal ?

If you feel like its not to bad, you can drive the car next to a wall of a building with the windows down, you can hear a lot doing that.

Have you had that other turbo checked out to make sure its good ?

What are you plans for the car ?

Here's what the OEM DP looks like, these are from my cars.

DSCN8354.thumb.JPG.9aa81aaf5818cf10a0247d19f879b6ee.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I also bolt the turbo to the up pipe. Here are the catless up pipe that 05-06's need and my old catless DP.

DSCN4783.thumb.JPG.6171fbd214acca8c81342dce2e1073b1.JPG

DSCN4753.thumb.JPG.3cf44548bca6e904819543fa80bae2b1.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Have you started the car since the this issue ?

Have you done a oil change and checked the drain pan for metal ?

If you feel like its not to bad, you can drive the car next to a wall of a building with the windows down, you can hear a lot doing that.

Have you had that other turbo checked out to make sure its good ?

What are you plans for the car ?

Here's what the OEM DP looks like, these are from my cars.

[ATTACH]285371[/ATTACH]

Thank you for all the info and pictures!

I had not driven the car since last November and started driving it again in mid April. I had the oil changed at the dealer about a week after starting drive to drive it again so did not check the oil.

I checked the other turbo for play and it is good.

plans are just to do the new turbo and a tune. Installed JMD Bilsteins

shocks and springs as well as AVO +0.50 Caster Adjustment Control Arm Bushings.

Not really thinking of doing much more to it at the moment.

If your not used to the sound the car normally makes...then may be your ok.

Check the oil level and see what the oil on the dip stick looks like. It should be metal free.

Look at the oil on the stick before you wipe it. These things are hard to get a correct oil level reading on.

I park the car on level ground, (like the parking lot at work), open the hood, pull the dip stick up until the lower edge of the yellow handle is resting on the top of the tube, loosen the oil fill cap and set it back on, close the hood, go to work. After work pull the stick up and see where the oil level is on the stick, add the distance of the yellow handle, that's your oil level.

Edited by Max Capacity

May try this, today after leaving the driveway, while driving down the street in second gear, not in boost, may be about 2200rpm, I can clearly hear the tranny whine.

Just add a little more power, keeping it out of boost and see if your noise is the tranny.