LegacyGT.com

Need help asap

I was driving going about 25 mph when I felt the car lose all power. I pull over and press the gas. There's a hum and no throttle response. Then the car started violently shaking and stalled. I then go to check spark plugs and they were all done. So I changed them with proper spec plugs and there's still the violent shake and stall. I even changed the wires around. Still shakes and when I press the throttle it instantly dies. Sometimes it revs to 1200 then dies. Car sounds like its choking on itself

I'd venture to guess you may have sprung a major vacuum leak. Does the car idle well enough to stay running? Do you have access to an OBDII scanner that will show live data for short term fuel corrections and air/fuel ratio? If so, you might get a can of MAF cleaner and spray it around all the vacuum joints in the bay to see if spraying in a particular location makes the short term correction drop significantly. This would identify a location where there's a leak.

If you don't have a scanner, it sounds like the leak (if it is one) is bad enough that you should hear a change in the idle too, though this is a less reliable way to tell than watching fuel corrections

Edited by awfulwaffle

Fueling (injectors, fuel pump, or filter) are another possible option that would cause these symptoms and are fairly easy to diagnose. Have means to check fuel pressure? If not, it's pretty easy to splice in a block into the fuel send line that you can use with a rented fuel pressure tester from the auto parts store.

I had this exact problem, turned out to be a bad coil on cyl 3. Turns out cylinders 1&3 see a lot more heat from the uppipe being right below it. When its running rough, unplug the coil on #3, and if it doesn't change, then the coil's dead. If it kills that cylinder when you unplug it, then it's working, and move on to #1 coil, and repeat until there is no change when you unplug the coil.

I just remembered that some plug wires don't properly snap into the coil pack on our non-turbo. Also, some aftermarket coil packs don't have the little ring groove for some plug wires to snap into either. So I wonder if there is a poor/loose connection at the coil pack.

Will check tomorrow. I was driving just fine and then out of nowhere car loses all power. No throttle. Would put foot all the way on the gas to the floor and no acceleration what so ever. And now it's a no start issue. Ima check and change the wires and see if any improvements.will source out another coil pack tomorrow if I can.

Car would turn on and shake violently. And rpms would be at 400 then drop to 100 then stall. Almost every time. And sometimes it would just not turn on at all.

Throwing parts at the car could get real expensive, and there's no guarantee it'll fix the problem. Money might be better spent having a shop check the fuel pressure and get their opinion/diagnosis like 08SpecD said.

I bought new spark plugs and a brand new coil pack going to buy new wires today. I have a fuel pressure tester. I will go and check pressure today as well. There is a gas smell when I'm turning the car. And when I went to remove the fuel lines going to the fuel tank there was a lot of gas that shot out of all 3 lines