LegacyGT.com

RPM not coming down when shifting

:icon_evil I am getting very pissed about my car:icon_evil

Now, when I am accelerating and shifting from ,let's say 3rd to 4th gear, the RPM stays where it was before I pushed the clutch and released the accelerator.

Ex: RPM at 5000, push the clutch and remove feet from gas, engine still at 5000, then suddenly, it drops. I really have to wait beteen shifts !! Otherwise, you feel the clutch slipping and the car surging forward.

Sometimes it takes 1 to 2 seconds before the RPM drops.

As usual, when my dealer did a test drive, they did not notice anything.:icon_evil

Am I the only one?

Anybody else experienced this?

Are there any solution or fix

Thanks

Bob

:icon_evil I am getting very pissed about my car:icon_evil

Now, when I am accelerating and shifting from ,let's say 3rd to 4th gear, the RPM stays where it was before I pushed the clutch and released the accelerator.

Ex: RPM at 5000, push the clutch and remove feet from gas, engine still at 5000, then suddenly, it drops. I really have to wait beteen shifts !! Otherwise, you feel the clutch slipping and the car surging forward.

Sometimes it takes 1 to 2 seconds before the RPM drops.

As usual, when my dealer did a test drive, they did not notice anything.:icon_evil

Am I the only one?

Anybody else experienced this?

Are there any solution or fix

Thanks

Bob

It's for rev-matching. it's to help you for smoother shifting, the car is helping you to keep a little bit of the throttle in place to prevent you from actually lurching forward when you let the clutch catch.. I have yet any issues from this.

Keefe

It's for rev-matching. it's to help you for smoother shifting, the car is helping you to keep a little bit of the throttle in place to prevent you from actually lurching forward when you let the clutch catch.. I have yet any issues from this.

Are you serious about this?

Well, I would say that the car is overdoing it !! to say the least, because the RPM ''hangs'' in there at 4000 rpms and if I shift, it quickly drops to 3000 while the car is lurching ahead..

That is how I actually noticed the problem, while taking a highway ramp, i would accel fast and then engage 5th gear, it felt like I had'nt completely removed my feet from the gas pedal.

It's driving me crazy..

I never had a real problem with this. Yes, it does hang there for a bit.. I noticed this when I first drove the car at the first 200 miles. It's to help you to do rev matching when you downshift and such.. it's to help you with the clutch work so that the flywheel is spinning to match the current vehicle speed.

When the car lurches ahead, you should be on the gas, especially when you are up-shifting.. so the car is ready for your throttle input to get the car moving forward. If anything, you just need to be easier on the clutch release and you'll be fine.

Keefe

Guest *Jedimaster*
http://media.putfile.com/VIR-GT-Driver-In-car

that's a video of me driving the GT as hard on the motor as I can get at VIR.. I dont have a problem with the gear shifting at all...

Damn dude- put that on a real host :lol: Kept buffering. How do you drive sitting so close to the wheel? I'd be afraid the damn airbag would make me look like a big goatse.

Just curious if this is just starting to happen to you, or has been happening all along. I think it's a common complaint for most makes and models of cars with electronic throttles. As Keefe says, it tends to smooth the shifts, and is probably done deliberately to help with emissions.

I'd be impressed if any manufacturers were so clever as to actually have the RPMs go to the next appropriate gear levels--that would be cool, but I haven't really looked to see if that's true.

FWIW, I find the 3->4 and 4->5 shifts to be super easy and smooth. My 1->2, on the other hand, is often lurchy.

Damn dude- put that on a real host :lol: Kept buffering. How do you drive sitting so close to the wheel? I'd be afraid the damn airbag would make me look like a big goatse.

True that, I had to download it to get to see it (right clisck and save): http://upload4.putfile.com/videos/a7-32705251079.wmv

It is illegal to download it according to their rules, but whatever.

But it be nice to see a few different perspectives since it does get kind of borin after a few minutes. :icon_bigg:munch:

X

---

Just curious if this is just starting to happen to you, or has been happening all along. I think it's a common complaint for most makes and models of cars with electronic throttles. As Keefe says, it tends to smooth the shifts, and is probably done deliberately to help with emissions.

I'd be impressed if any manufacturers were so clever as to actually have the RPMs go to the next appropriate gear levels--that would be cool, but I haven't really looked to see if that's true.

FWIW, I find the 3->4 and 4->5 shifts to be super easy and smooth. My 1->2, on the other hand, is often lurchy.

This has started to happen in the last 5k, I'm at 24K now.

I first noticed it when shifting from 4th to 5th.

now it is present at most of the shifts and the revs stay too high...nothing smooth at all:icon_neut

I wonder if an ECU reset would cure this...

Bob

This has started to happen in the last 5k, I'm at 24K now.

I first noticed it when shifting from 4th to 5th.

now it is present at most of the shifts and the revs stay too high...nothing smooth at all:icon_neut

I wonder if an ECU reset would cure this...

Bob

It couldn't hurt to try an ECU reset. I'd venture that the cold weather might also be a contributor. Usually will have higher idle for a while, and maybe other ECU tricks to help warm-up the car.

Is the throttle sticky in other situations, like just revving the car in neutral? 1-2 seconds sounds like it would be a real pain for shifting though, that's an awfully long "hang" time.

It couldn't hurt to try an ECU reset. I'd venture that the cold weather might also be a contributor. Usually will have higher idle for a while, and maybe other ECU tricks to help warm-up the car.

Is the throttle sticky in other situations, like just revving the car in neutral? 1-2 seconds sounds like it would be a real pain for shifting though, that's an awfully long "hang" time.

The trottle is never sticky apart from upshifts. And it sticks when I rev it higher than 4-5K's. On upshifts where I'm not hitting 4k, no surging/lurching.

At Idle or on downshifts, no prob!

Please note: this happens mostly when the car is hot, I never noticed when the engine is cold because I hit the highway after 5-10 mins of slow driving..

Thanks for your support/ideas.

Archived