LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy Outback Advice

Rely18

My dad is interested in purchasing a 97 Legacy Outback from a friend and is looking for any advice he can get since we don't know much about older legacy performance, etc. Here are the details:

Auto transmission

4 cyl.

121k miles

oil changed regularly

timing belt changed at 40k, 80k

good body, only 1 spot of rust behind rear wheel

new brakes/rotors

Here are some things we have noticed, any advice on them would also be helpful:

Small engine knock at low rpms

terrible radio (stock) reception (antenna problem or radio problem?)

The owner of the car is a trustworthy friend so we know she isn't trying to mislead us in any way about the condition of the car. She is selling for $2500 which seems to me to be a very good deal, especially for an AWD car in northeast PA in the beginning of winter! This Outback would be a replacement for a 97 Camry with similar miles, leaks oil, and isn't great in the snow.

Anyway, I just want to get an idea of what you all think of this situation. Good deal? Any tips on issues to look for in this car? Advice on engine knock or any other problems this generation of Outback suffers? Any help would be great!

Just on a side note, my 05 LGT got its first taste of snow today after returning to PA for the holidays!

Check coolent overflow tank for sludge/oil/exhaust smell. Also for bubbles coming from tube while running. Could indicate head gasket failure.

Check for torque bind while doing several sharp slow speed turns in a parking lot. The bind feels as though the back tires want to turn opposite the front.

Both of these would cost $1000-1500 each if needing to be fixed.

I dont think the knock is a concern. Might help to have oil pump changed. Or try different oil.

Good luck, price sounds good to me.

cheap... even if you have to put a couple of grand into it, you are still coming out ahead. I would also say that the t-belt will be a concern in about 10-15k. Make sure that the tranny fluid gets changed soon! 1st to 2nd will most likely be pretty rough, but after the change it should smooth out.. a bit.

offer 2 and realize that you got the deal of a lifetime.

Archived