LegacyGT.com

Worth it to rebuild 09 Legacy?

Hey everyone I have an 09 legacy PZEV. The engine is shot and will need to be replaced. Is it worth upgrading or doing any modifications if I wanted to keep it? If so any recommendations? Not trying to spend too much money but not trying to be cheap either if I move forward. At this point it’s strictly a project Car.

• I Donated Too

Also since it's a PZEV what mods would you like to do with it?

I have two 2005 GT's and I also have a 2009 2.5i - I still enjoy driving that car, without the Turbo... without all the speed, it's still a nice car. If the engine broke... I'd fix it, the engines are easy to pull out and there's loads of them around for a quick swap if and you don't even need to tear into the engine itself - won't cost that much, especially if you do the work yourself. If the rest of the car is nice... it's still a nice car.

I love my '09 NA, it's been really good to me. My biggest concerns would be the cat and the rear hard brake lines. Cat because it can be a little pricey, rear brake lines since that can get pricey labor wise, unless you DIY.

various threads on the brake line failures I'm referring to

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5704424&postcount=1080

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rusted-recall-brake-line-failed-269503.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5936149&postcount=242

Also since it's a PZEV what mods would you like to do with it?

I have two 2005 GT's and I also have a 2009 2.5i - I still enjoy driving that car, without the Turbo... without all the speed, it's still a nice car. If the engine broke... I'd fix it, the engines are easy to pull out and there's loads of them around for a quick swap if and you don't even need to tear into the engine itself - won't cost that much, especially if you do the work yourself. If the rest of the car is nice... it's still a nice car.

The rest of the car is in good shape. I read somewhere that there were not many modifications or upgrades you could do to the PZEV to boost performance, but was curious what was possible since I would have the engine pulled out. Would it be worth it to upgrade the engine.. I imagine I would have to modify a few things if so.

Thanks for the response

From my understanding there is not a lot you can do to the N/A cars to boost performance. Tuning makes anything possible but how far the stock internals can go I am not sure. And of course if you build something with forged internals you can probably make some decent power with the right supporting mods.

I have seen a few cold air intakes on N/A cars but from my understanding the stock Subaru Airbox breaths just fine up to around 400 horse on the turbo cars. I can’t imagine that does anything for you. I have seen plenty of Subaru both turbo and non that have exhaust mods. The right exhaust maybe gets you a bump on the N/A cars if it were tuned for properly. But just tuning it in general would be the most substantial bump in power I think you would see of any individual bolt on or plug and play type mod you could do to a stock N/A Subaru. Not that tuning is either bolt on or plug and play unless using an OTS map, but most modifications should be tuned for in my opinion. So if you look at just a tune, vs tune plus exhaust I bet the difference is not too far off, especially if it is just a catback.

Suspension is where I would focus my efforts on a “performance” N/A Subaru. I would like to buy a clean N/A legacy wagon, but I would not be modifying the engine or engine performance. If I did exhaust it would be for the sound only.

Yes, I will be doing the work

Not even a question then, keep it, NAs are quite nice and 09 has the looks that are still sharp today compared to recent designs.

Don't waist time/money on performance on NA, stock intake and exhaust are enough. May be an intake filter but that's it.

Spend money on suspension, that's where it will best ROI. Even simple sways will change the way it feels.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K