LegacyGT.com

Skunked--HELP

Maybe give the car a bath in tomato sauce:icon_tong

That's what my mom did to me when I got sprayed :icon_bigg

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

This worked on our dog, but I don't know about the car.

Mix equal parts baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, and add a splash of diswashing detergent. With the dog, I spread this concoction over the affected areas and it let soak for about 5 minutes, then rinsed. Don't know if this will help with the car. Good luck.

Skunk stink is a strong alkaloid, so bleach, baking soda/H2O2, aren't going to be particularly effective. And bleach will corrode the crap out of your underbody, especially the exhaust.

You need to use something acidic to neutralize the spray. Like tomato, lemon, lime ... maybe just a bloody mary!

Or just a citrus based cleaner.

REDOBXT and GTSleeper

:( Hope you weren't out in Cleveland Heights, brother GT! I used to live there, and boy, that must be the skunk capital of the world! :lol:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, friend.....

I honestly don't know what to tell you, but this link may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk

Scan down to the bottom - it's got the confirmed (via Mythbusters) "antidote" you're looking for. :)

Honestly, though, I don't know about using any of this on your interior - which may simply benefit from a good airing-out. Washing the underside and paint-work of the vehicle with this should be OK, but I'd imagine that you'll need to re-wash the car with a proper automotive soap solution and follow-up with a wax afterwards, too, as the dish-soap will be harsh. I'd also take off the front aero/dirt-undertray, too, to make sure that area gets its proper cleaning.

---

REDOBXT, your theory/science is only partially correct, but the real-world application is off-base (on both counts, please reference the link above) - there's apparently more at-play than just acid-base. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Friday I have an appointment 8:00am to get it cleaned. They didnt seem that this would be a problem. Clean inside & under then it will sit inside a bubble to cure for some hours, they needed it all day. Im also taking the cabin filter out b4 it goes in.

I was hoping OCdetails would respond see if this will work^^^

TSI- ahhh will have to wait on the car switch thing till the stink is out.

Well, 2 weeks ago I unavoidably ran over a buck that was hit by 2 cars ahead of me. I was able to get the blood and wild deer smell off by using a garden sprayer from Home Depot and applying the following mix:

to 1 gallon of warm water add,

1 cup of white vinegar,

1 pint of witch hazel,

2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid.

Shake and pressurise the sprayer.

jack up the car & place on jackstands or ramps.

wear eye protection and slide under the car, spraying all locations that may have made contact with the Pepe L'Pew.

Soak for 20 minutes or so, then rinse with the hose.

Take a look at the pictures below to see what a mess I had to deal with.

Brokenundercover1.jpg.93da791541a696106d5f4e58348dc528.jpg

Brokenundercover2.jpg.888f7f29c31f30e4dad17aa86e5f425f.jpg

Deerchunks1.jpg.6741ca55809e08d418576f79cf7ca107.jpg

Deerchunks2.jpg.a17caa1df6caf0b19c941672a6f093e7.jpg

Deerchunks3.jpg.b2387e77fad656188999ded05b444e55.jpg

Friday I have an appointment 8:00am to get it cleaned. They didnt seem that this would be a problem. Clean inside & under then it will sit inside a bubble to cure for some hours, they needed it all day. Im also taking the cabin filter out b4 it goes in.

I was hoping OCdetails would respond see if this will work^^^

TSI- ahhh will have to wait on the car switch thing till the stink is out.

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I would have said that sounds like a good plan though. Odors are trapped in more places than just the carpets and seats. When you are doing serious odor removal like this then all you can do is fog out the whole thing. Clean everything that smells can get into. The bad part is that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease... As long as the new smell isn't worse than the skunk smell then I would say they did well. :) You might want to invest in some good air freshener now. If you have leather then there are several leather conditioners that smell like leather and will help make the car smell better. Ozium also makes a great odor neutralizer that smells like new car. That will help too. Hopefully they got all the smell out and you don't have any more worries. :)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived