LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

The really crazy part is, for houses with public water, we're on the Baltimore City system, but we actually pay less than people in the City do. (Also, our public water is super cheap... Our bill is like $20-30 per quarter AFTER a rate increase.)

Are you on a septic tank or sewer line? My water bill is around 70-80/month!

I think the big crunch point we'll be looking at with houses is finding a big enough lot that's close enough to the city.

Edited by stm25rs

That's kind of my thought. I am doing 20% down with cash. The lender and realtor both said it's fine, but extremely rare, and nothing to be concerned about. I don't particularly trust either though.

Just did a quick Google and apparently banks have been doing a lot of appraisal waivers since covid started, particularly for situations high down payments, excellent credit buyers, etc.

Just did a quick Google and apparently banks have been doing a lot of appraisal waivers since covid started, particularly for situations high down payments, excellent credit buyers, etc.

Oh, that may be it and makes sense.

---

• I Donated
Are you on a septic tank or sewer line? My water bill is around 70-80/month!

Sewer. I'm telling you, it's cheaper in the county. Might have something to do with the agreement the city water system has with the county. My understanding is the County gets to use the system because we have the reservoirs, and the agreement is decades old.

I think the big crunch point we'll be looking at with houses is finding a big enough lot that's close enough to the city.

How close do you need to be?

That's one of the reasons houses in my parents' neighborhood are going for so much... ~1 acre wooded lots, public water, inside the Beltway and right off I-83. They're nice enough houses, but even across Towson on smaller lots they'd be going for maybe half what they're going for in my parents' neighborhood.

We can be downtown in half an hour not during rush hour, but we're way up 795. For my parents, it's more like 15 minutes. Of course, a lot of jobs are in the business zones around the Beltway at this point (or between Baltimore and DC)... so I get the impression that "close to the city" is more of an issue for the finance types that work in the skyscrapers next to the harbor these days.

How close do you need to be?

I get the impression that "close to the city" is more of an issue for the finance types that work in the skyscrapers next to the harbor these days.

Our main reason for wanting to be close to the city is for bars/restaurants/concerts, would like to be within 30 minutes non rush hour.

But I've also seen the same pricing you noticed with your parents house. Close to 83 is a big factor but the 95N or 795 corridors seem cheaper for comparable houses

She'll probably be changing jobs/leaving Hopkins before we buy so where she ends up will be a factor too. I'll most likely be staying in sales, working from home and my car, so I'm flexible. She works in healthcare administration which, thanks to covid, has so far shifted to mostly work from home, but not sure how long that will last.

Yup, a good home inspector is there for hours. Climbing around crawl spaces and attics, licking all of the electrical outlets to make sure they work okay. etc.

I used the inspectors report for years after we bought our house, as a master guide of shit I wanted to do. He was amazing.

It's complicated. A couple things.

It is shorted 140%. Lookup volkswagen short squeeze from 2008. Could happen here.

Aside from that, Ryan Cohen, co-founder of Chewy, bought big into Gamestop awhile ago, around 15% ownership. Last week it was announced he and a couple Chewy alums were being added to Gamestop's board. Gamestop can stay relevant and grow by shifting to an ecommerce centric model, and having the guy that built up Chewy certainly helps that case.

His board announcement triggered the current growth, and is creating the pressure that could cause a bigly short squeeze.

Also, memes.

Why the **** is everyone talking about the Blockbuster of video games?

See attachment. Note that the time scale is in days, not years; the entire graph spans barely two weeks!

"[The market] can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent." ~ John Maynard Keynes

2021-01-26-gamestop-cap-fallback.thumb.png.73acfa1492aa0bc0c1cf347f5c02f984.png

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png