LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

My buddy listed his raised ranch here in town... Under contract in one day after 10 offers. All over asking.

Same thing happened to my in-laws about 6 years ago, their place outside Springfield, MO was on the market for a day and there was a bidding war.

They were NOT prepared to move that fast.

It's cold and sterile.

Yes. I am not sure what’s the obsession with new construction being so sterile. They want everything to be flat white.

It’s still a baller house nonetheless. There are more beautiful houses in that island. The most coveted ones are the ones that have both access to the inter coastal and the beach.

---

GF and I are planning to move out of our current place within the next 2 years, targeting early 2022. We've both been living in Baltimore for 7-8 years. Ready for a bigger house, yard for the dog to run around, and some nice outdoor space for ourselves.

We'll be staying in the Baltimore region, but moving to the burbs or maybe even further out. We want at least a 1/2 acre, but I'd prefer 2+ acres.

Maybe we'll be neighbors with fulton!

Pengys got some extra room.

I like that area its really nice if you get the chance to make it out there. I went twice had dinner with Pengy booth times :p

1/3 acre. :lol:

Thats a lot more than I have now :lol::lol::spin:

Stm, Sounds like you will be paying a pretty penny to do all that!
Current house is only about 1400 sqft, and that includes a finished basement, so bigger for us means around 2500, nothing huge.

Probably looking at the 450-500k range. Not cheap, but nothing too crazy either.

Been fiddling around with some mortgage calculators and it's pretty surprising.

My current mortgage is an FHA low down payment, so with PMI, plus Baltimore City's high property tax rate. A 500k house with 20% down payment (no PMI) and in a lower tax county will be right on par with what we pay now.

Bank said they don't need to appraise the house we're buying.

I guess we got a good deal even though we paid $5k over asking.

Anyone ever run into that before? I've never even heard of not having an appraisal done.

You can still do it for your peace of mind. F what the bank says.

---

When I bought my house 4 years ago, it was a "pocket listing" we were the first people to see it and agreed to asking price before leaving the porch.

The same thing would happen today if I were to sell.

You can still do it for your peace of mind. F what the bank says.

Yeah I mean I don't wanna take on a $500 appraisal if I don't have to. I'm still getting an inspection of the property so I'll know if there's issues with the home.

My only guess is that they have a recent appraisal on file with the home already, but I don't know.

Brought to you by Pfizer

What is the house appraised for taxes purposes? When was it last sold? They usually appraise lower for tax purposes. You can also ask your realtor for comparable properties in the Neighborhood that have some recently.
---

trust me, if the bank had any concerns about it not being worth anything close to what you were paying, they will get the appraisal done. If it’s worth that amount to you, I wouldn’t bother paying an extra $500 to have it appraised. I’ve also never heard of a bank skipping appraisal appraisal. Perhaps it has something to do with the down payment you are making.

• I Donated
GF and I are planning to move out of our current place within the next 2 years, targeting early 2022. We've both been living in Baltimore for 7-8 years. Ready for a bigger house, yard for the dog to run around, and some nice outdoor space for ourselves.

We'll be staying in the Baltimore region, but moving to the burbs or maybe even further out. We want at least a 1/2 acre, but I'd prefer 2+ acres.

Maybe we'll be neighbors with fulton!

Nah, my lot is one of the only half-acre or larger ones in my subdivision. :hide:

Look into the URDL in Baltimore County. Really interesting from an urban-planning standpoint and will be a semi important consideration if you're looking for a larger lot. Personally, I see public water as a must, and you'll save a bunch of money on heating if you can get natural gas too, and neither of those are available outside the URDL, but it's also next to impossible to get over an acre inside the URDL, and over half an acre is possible but fairly rare.

Stm, Sounds like you will be paying a pretty penny to do all that!

Nah, there are some reasonably cheap houses on larger lots, especially west of the city. Plus the tax rate in Baltimore County is half that of the city.

The really crazy part is, for houses with public water, we're on the Baltimore City system, but we actually pay less than people in the City do. (Also, our public water is super cheap... Our bill is like $20-30 per quarter AFTER a rate increase.)

What is the house appraised for taxes purposes? When was it last sold? They usually appraise lower for tax purposes. You can also ask your realtor for comparable properties in the Neighborhood that have some recently.

Comps in the neighborhood are a little higher than what I'm paying for houses that were remodeled more recently. I'm paying about $5k-$15k less than those homes.

trust me, if the bank had any concerns about it not being worth anything close to what you were paying, they will get the appraisal done. If it’s worth that amount to you, I wouldn’t bother paying an extra $500 to have it appraised. I’ve also never heard of a bank skipping appraisal appraisal. Perhaps it has something to do with the down payment you are making.

That's kind of my thought. I am doing 20% down with cash. The lender and realtor both said it's fine, but extremely rare, and nothing to be concerned about. I don't particularly trust either though.

I would appraise. $500 is nothing on such a big purchase.

I just don't know what the landmine is here, trying to figure it out. If it appraises much lower than the bank may have newfound concerns about the purchase, if it appraises much higher than all we've established is that I made a good deal. If it appraises much lower, then that means the appraiser found something that the home inspector would obviously find so it's a bit redundant. I dunno. Thanks guys for helping me think this through.

Anyway I poo'd today, and it was fine.

Brought to you by Pfizer