LegacyGT.com

Howling noise only when moving and reving engine

I noticed a new noise today i have never heard before with my car. I have 2011 subaru legacy 2.5 with CVT transmission.

After pulling out of a driveway today noticed a howling noise much like the wind makes. I noticed it got louder with RPMs. So I put in natural while moving. I noticed it got louder the higher the RPMs but couldn't really hear at lower RPMs. When I came to a red light i reved the engine in natural and couldn't hear it at all. None of the fluids look low or burnt.

To clarify I am only reving up 4k at max to test this. Otherwise normal driving RPMs.

Just find it strange it only does it while moving regardless if it in gear turning or driving straight.

Anyone have any thoughts what it could be?

I noticed a new noise today i have never heard before with my car. I have 2011 subaru legacy 2.5 with CVT transmission.

After pulling out of a driveway today noticed a howling noise much like the wind makes. I noticed it got louder with RPMs. So I put in natural while moving. I noticed it got louder the higher the RPMs but couldn't really hear at lower RPMs. When I came to a red light i reved the engine in natural and couldn't hear it at all. None of the fluids look low or burnt.

To clarify I am only reving up 4k at max to test this. Otherwise normal driving RPMs.

Just find it strange it only does it while moving regardless if it in gear turning or driving straight.

Anyone have any thoughts what it could be?

How many miles does your car have?

Quite honestly I'm not sure what it could be... You may have to take it into Subaru and see if they'll fix it with the warranty extension to your car's drivetrain.

This is what I’d do too. It’s a 10yr/100k warranty on the CVT so it will expire 10 years from the in-service date which could be approaching...