LegacyGT.com

13' rear differential leak repair

I have 3.6R limited, CVT with the rear diff leaking and trying to figure out how much work it is to pull it and replace the seals.

I haven't found a good video yet, or forum showing the basic steps to see if I want to tackle this my self with the car on jack stands. wondering if I have to pull both wheels/axles or if there's a way to drop one side and do it in place or does it come all the way out. While I'm there should the rear mounts be replaced?

if you have any good links that show the basic steps I'd appreciate it or have any tips, gottcha's to look out for I'd appreciate that.

Overall it doesn't look too bad 4 bolts on the drive shaft, 4 mounting bolts and the cv joints.

diff is marked: VA2RGT-XC on one side f the cover and 833206 on the other.

thanks for the help. For what its worth I'm a rookie dealing with CV joints and driveline stuff. I've done brakes, plugs, alternators, starters etc.

I have 3.6R limited, CVT with the rear diff leaking and trying to figure out how much work it is to pull it and replace the seals.

I haven't found a good video yet, or forum showing the basic steps to see if I want to tackle this my self with the car on jack stands. wondering if I have to pull both wheels/axles or if there's a way to drop one side and do it in place or does it come all the way out. While I'm there should the rear mounts be replaced?

if you have any good links that show the basic steps I'd appreciate it or have any tips, gottcha's to look out for I'd appreciate that.

Overall it doesn't look too bad 4 bolts on the drive shaft, 4 mounting bolts and the cv joints.

diff is marked: VA2RGT-XC on one side f the cover and 833206 on the other.

thanks for the help. For what its worth I'm a rookie dealing with CV joints and driveline stuff. I've done brakes, plugs, alternators, starters etc.

Where is it leaking from?

And fwiw all r160 diffs come out the same way. Nothing special with ours, it's just like every other Subaru from 05 or so and up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

drivers side seal, it started leaking a couple weeks ago. Cleaned up all the mounts and drove it a little bit the drivers side seal area was "wet". Below the mount, passenger side and was dry. Then had the service guy check it while I was getting the oil changed. It was low so they topped it off and now there's new puddles. Will get in the air and check again this weekend.

If the driveshaft is coming out make sure to mark the driveshaft and the differential flange with a line. Tape or a paint pen works. When putting back together line them up. Keeps everything in sync and no vibrations later.

drivers side seal, it started leaking a couple weeks ago. Cleaned up all the mounts and drove it a little bit the drivers side seal area was "wet". Below the mount, passenger side and was dry. Then had the service guy check it while I was getting the oil changed. It was low so they topped it off and now there's new puddles. Will get in the air and check again this weekend.

You can certainly drop the carrier assembly by itself, that is what I did. You will want to either remove the exhaust or let it hang to get it out of the way. The axle seals are pretty easy to replace once the diff is out. I swapped my carrier in probably 2 to 3 hours in my driveway. With a lift it should be much faster. I didn't remove the axles, I just dropped the carrier and moved it forward and down until I could get the axles out. There is no need to mark anything, not even the service manual calls for that. I am sure some cars do need it, but not Subarus.