LegacyGT.com

Toyota to build 100k cars at Suby plant

franklin

as someone who works for subaru ... i wouldnt be to happy if toyota was just going to come it and take it, but i dont run the company, i just dont want subies turned into toyota's

amen... keep the pillaging to a minimum.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i mean honestly (i dont actually work for subaru btw, this is just a roll play if you will) i was annoyed enough when saab went begging to GM to allow them to use the impreza for the '9-2 saabaru', as an auto company, its important that everyone takes prides in what they are building, atleast that is what i think. You dont just go out and buy a platform from another company and call it yours.

If toyota cant build a decient awd system, then they shouldnt try to be in the business of makeing such a device for their cars. the same goes for subaru, if you cant build a good gas-electic hybrid system, dont build it. subaru in my opinion just needs to stick to what has made the company work. depending all-weather AWD systems, dont try to do this hybrid thing. please !!

I love my car ... basically.

i mean honestly (i dont actually work for subaru btw, this is just a roll play if you will) i was annoyed enough when saab went begging to GM to allow them to use the impreza for the '9-2 saabaru', as an auto company, its important that everyone takes prides in what they are building, atleast that is what i think. You dont just go out and buy a platform from another company and call it yours.

If toyota cant build a decient awd system, then they shouldnt try to be in the business of makeing such a device for their cars. the same goes for subaru, if you cant build a good gas-electic hybrid system, dont build it. subaru in my opinion just needs to stick to what has made the company work. depending all-weather AWD systems, dont try to do this hybrid thing. please !!

I think the hybrid thing will work out. Subaru appeals to very liberally minded people. I think the main thing that affected Subaru's Hybrid aspirations were GM's persistence in keeping its affiliates from doing it because "Hydrogen is the next best thing. We don't believe in Hybrids." and also all the expensive patents Toyota had in place the Subaru was trying to work around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The hard part when a deal is between a small, innovative player and a big player, is; how much does the smaller player give up without losing everything. I see it in my industry, and this has disturbing parallels. As the smaller player, the key is to give something that is already mature for your business (AWD), and keep control of your "next big thing." I just hope Subaru has something besides its LiMn batteries to carry forward as its next big thing...
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

it does. The first turbo hybrid. A hybrid that gets the same gas mileage as the Camry hybrid except Subaru has 70 more hp.

Yeah, but I think the batteries are really the key technology to their hybrid movement. We use LiMnO2 batteries in my industry, and they rock for longevity, charge retention, and current output. We use tiny ones for medical applications, but it sounds like FHI is really cutting edge on large-scale apps. Delivering charge to the battery via an internal combustion engine is actually Toyota's forte - their hybrid synergy is great technology for the application - their problem is that they are using circa-1980s NiMH batteries for storage. I think that is one of the reasons that they don't get the advertised milage out of their hybrids - and the really bad news for Prius owners is that with NiMH batteries, its just going to get worse over the life of the car.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

The mileage ratings may be skewed, but I dont think I could complain with 48 mpg.

My understanding is that Toyota batteries are only meant to last five years or so where the Subaru battery is designed for more than 10 years of life. I mean, isnt that why Toyota wanted to buy that 12% of Subaru?

Archived