LegacyGT.com

DIY Brake ducts for my track car

I've been running Roo Products brake ducts on the Legacy for a number of years now and they've been trouble free. The only issue was never having gotten around to taking them all the way to the rotor hat. Their duct stops after it takes a 90 degree turn at the frame horn. It points directly at the rotor hat and provides some cooling efficiency but there is still a 9" gap or so. With the Covid shutdown and time on my hands, I figured I'd attempt at fabbing up some backing plates utilizing a new pair of OEM backing plates. I may have to do some more trimming once I go to install as there may be fitment issues with my bigger StopTech rotors.

Its always a bit tighter in the wheel well in AWD cars so this location is about the only one that makes sense to keep from interfering with everything else. I cut away a section of the backing plate and replaced it with an aluminum piece patterned out to fit a flat footprint. The duct was sourced from an airplane parts supply company, they were $12 a piece. I'm about $100 into these all in, including the new OEM backing plates. I used aluminum rivets for everything to keep rust issues down and shot everything with a coat of black primer and two coats of flat black enamel. Interested to see how the install goes and hope I don't have to hack them up much more to get them to fit :)

IMG_6382.thumb.jpg.a1e0484fb3a72b397e36712568a1f146.jpg

IMG_6393.thumb.jpg.b4cf6383f6b3433a22f4d9a408d72f48.jpg

IMG_6394.thumb.jpg.219cb3952d81c1de30d4a9841c8672b8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Brake Ducts Update - Covid has given me plenty of time to tinker on the car so I wanted to finish up this project. After a fair amount of test fitting back and forth, it became apparent that most of the OEM dust shield was going to be more of a hassle to keep than to just get rid of. Various areas were either too close for comfort on my rotor face or actually grazing it. Ultimately, a full cut away made the most sense.

Test fitting also showed that I had some room to give on moving the duct closer towards the center of the rotor hat so I re-templated and fabbed new backing plates to allow for this. Luckily it was fairly hassle free to drill thru al the rivets to tear my V.1 plates back apart but I wish I hadn't done both before fitting at least one :).

V.2 is super stripped down to just use the area needed to attach the duct flange. The 3" high temp hose is pretty burly, I like the brass spiral wound coil running thru the inside, can't see how it could collapse. It also accordions quite nicely on L and R lock out, every thing appears to be staying put after a test drive.

IMG_6430.thumb.jpg.4ce2bfd51c07837ff75bef2d10d31b9a.jpg

IMG_6435.thumb.jpg.0b5b6d8b7f0782395f194efb6e098f0a.jpg

IMG_6453.thumb.jpg.3859bf88f6d9f1c551f4cfd8c40115e5.jpg

IMG_6456.thumb.jpg.19fec60423848171035ff065da9a4408.jpg

that's awesome, how much to make another set and ship to cali? ; )

Right :) still feel it’s pretty one off for sure, definitely know what needs to be done to the OEM shields now. Bet it’s a pretty small market!

Yeh, super clean man. I have a set of fog light ducts that were 3d printed, but I'm looking for a solution like yours to connect all the way to the rotors. If it's at all possible for you to make another set, lemme know.