LegacyGT.com

Any advice on codes after turbo swap?

Got a sweet one-owner, Subaru-maintained 2005 GT Wagon from a friend and then the wife ran it low on oil and the turbo shrapnelled. Replaced the turbo, (pretty sure correctly, at least there were no left over parts) and put in new oil and after a few miles got the P0011, P0021, P2006 and P2017 codes. Car seems to run fine and accelerate well so not sure if there is any relationship? Any advice on what to check? I pulled the Drivers side Variable Timing Solenoid and it seems to fire fine and be clean, but still getting the code. Anyone with similar experience or advice?

You mentioned no filters in the solenoid banjo bolts, but did you check to make sure there is not a filter in the turbo oil feed banjo bolt? Removing that one cleared my P0011 and P0021 codes. Edited by ryguy32789

A little confused here :-D

Usually when someone shows up with a "turbo blew, put a new one on and changed the oil, what's the deal with these codes", people pile on to let them know that their engine is most likely toast.

But that didn't happen in this thread. What's different about this one?

Honestly, from what I've read, there is a good chance that your engine is contaminated with the metal pieces from the turbo going and is likely just a matter of time until it goes all the way and dies.

When you changed the oil, did you check how shiny/metallic the oil was?

Some people get away with flushing multiple times (very frequent oil changes), replacing the oil cooler and a few other parts. But many end up needing a new short block.

Unless I'm way off base here and someone else wants to chime in as to why this scenario is different.

Sounds like you didn't check the correct Banjo fittings. On a 2005 and 2006 they are located on the front side of the drivers side head and the rear of the passenger side head. Neither is easy to get too.

Don't listen to Infosecdad, I'm sure you'll be ok with going the path your going...just because 98% of the others end up with a new ej257, you could be one of those 1 or 2 percenters... Good Luck

Here's the service manual, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here