LegacyGT.com

Still on the fence..what to get??

Ridgeracer

Hey all,

I'm considering a set of coilovers for my GT but I'm still not sure which ones to get and in what spring rate. As some of you know, I live in the tri-state area so sometimes the roads are not that great. So far I narrowed it down to a set of GPMotos or Tein Flexes. I may even do K Sports to save money over the others. Everything else is just plain out of my price range and I don't plan on tracking the car. Thanks for any help.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

That's a great question. Very difficult to find info on spring rates, damping rates, etc. Also consider durability. Will you need to replace or rebuild after some mileage? What about corrosion? That will add to costs.

That wasn't any help, I know. But I wonder too (with even less selection for Outback).

if that's the case, just get a set of Ksports and be done with it.. no sense of spending that kind of money if you are not going to track the car with it.. and there's DEFINITELY no sense in buying a set of the more expensive coilovers because you are going to use them for the streets of NYC..
Keefe

I've generally been pretty happy with the GPMotos. But I will reserve judgement until I get some serious miles on them.

The fronts are inverted with a 40mm rod and multiple phenolic sliders for rigidity. To my knowledge this is the only coilover under 2k that offers a 40 mm shock rod.

They are also a gas charged monotube design with an aluminum body for heat dissapation.

The range of dampning is sickening. I can't imagine 16/16 its enough to jar your teeth out. If you compress the shock in 16/16 the valving is so agressive that it takes a few seconds for the shock to return to the extended position.

Im afraid of going past 8/16. 1/16 is pretty soft and underdampened.

Ride height adjustment is limited because the shock body is quite long. If you want to slam your car these are not for you.

To my knowledge these coilovers are made to spec for GP moto by HSD a company who has been manufacuring OEM components for a century.

The NASIOC peeps seem to like it... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821266&highlight=gpmoto+coilover

Thanks guys for your input. I think i'll take XenonK's advice and go with the Ksports. I don't think i'll make much use of all the damping settings that the GPMotos have to offer. Now the question is, what spring rate should I use front and rear?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

For brooklyn? No more than 7/7. Id go 6/6 if I lived in NYC and they were available.

I am running 8/8 rates right now they are phenominal on the highway and in the twisties, but I dread driving into the city.

You can afford to run a higher rate in the rear if you wish because of the lever ratio of the rear suspension. Id say 6 front 7 rear would be a decent setup without being too harsh. But then again ride quality also depends on the dampening of the shock.

For brooklyn? No more than 7/7. Id go 6/6 if I lived in NYC and they were available.

I am running 8/8 rates right now they are phenominal on the highway and in the twisties, but I dread driving into the city.

You can afford to run a higher rate in the rear if you wish because of the lever ratio of the rear suspension. Id say 6 front 7 rear would be a decent setup without being too harsh. But then again ride quality also depends on the dampening of the shock.

Spring rates are more about how much weight transfer you get out of the car.. so if you dont want the lean and accel/brake dips, I would opt for more spring rate..

A lot of people get this misconception that spring rates is what makes the ride harsh when really it's the shocks that are either over or under-dampened that determines if you need to goto the dentist to see if he can put your teeth back in.

If you want less head dive, go with more spring rates in the front, if you want a flatter balance out of the acceleration out of the corner without lift, get stiffer rears. I have driven down in Canal Street with 8/6 with full soft valving on my Zeals and they are fine, it's not that jarring at all (coming from using a set of SSR Comps on 225/45/17 Azenis as well). You can do something like 6/6 all around if you desire a more stock ride..

stock the last time I checked was like 3.5 front/4.5 rear... I think the STi pink springs go up another 1kg all around.. but don't quote me on that, I would have to do a search around here of what I last wrote them down as.

For future reference, I will be rebuilding my Zeals from 8/6 to 12/10 springs. I might go up to 14/10 just to use some of the rear brakes and keeping the car from nose-diving into the turn.. and yes, it will be a daily driven car (hey, this car weighs 3500 lbs, it'll need some springs to keep the car from rolling and diving).

Keefe

Up to you. For this car I wouldent run a softer rear rate than the front. But thats just me. There are plenty of people running a softer rear rate.

I do run a softer rear than the front (8kg front vs 6kg rear), but I am also about 2kg over stock in the rear for spring rates (6kg vs stock's 4kg?).. so I am fine.. I like the squat in the rear, it's to put some weight transfer down so the back end doesn't come flying around when I make that turn.. which also helps with the front end and take some load off while I can cheat on the accelerator and gas through a turn with the wheel still half-cocked from unwinding it when I come out of the turn.

Keefe

Split the diffrence and get 6/6

It all depends on the way you drive. Only you can answer your own question.

Xenonk I suspect is a fast in, attack the corner type of person.

I like easing it in to the apex, hold throttle through the corner, then accelerating out.

Softer rear springrates for xenonk translates into stability in his driving style.

If i were to drive his car using my style I would think it understeers too much.

If I were to attack the corner like he does in my car I might find it a little bit loose.

Split the diffrence and get 6/6

It all depends on the way you drive. Only you can answer your own question.

Xenonk I suspect is a fast in, attack the corner type of person.

I like easing it in to the apex, hold throttle through the corner, then accelerating out.

Softer rear springrates for xenonk translates into stability in his driving style.

If i were to drive his car using my style I would think it understeers too much.

If I were to attack the corner like he does in my car I might find it a little bit loose.

I just use all of the brakes and keep the car leveled going into the turn as much as I can.. I will get on the gas early and cheat and get the car to understeer a little bit.. I use a lot of trail braking.. typically, I am on the gas at full before getting to the apex if I can help it.

For me driving a car with stiffer springs in the rear won't step out on me too much, it's the trail braking that will make the car unsettling for me going INTO a turn.

You can just do 6/6 for now.. talk to KSport and see what their policy on swapping to stiffer or softer springs.. I am sure they can accomodate you on that.

Keefe

Archived