LegacyGT.com

New to me 2013 smoke from engine...

I posted over the weekend about picking up a new to me 2013 Legacy wth the 2.5 engine.

I drove it last night. When I pulled into the garage, I could see some smoke in the light of the headlights which was coming from the grill & seams around the hood.

I immediately wondered about oil but didn't see any on the visible parts of the engine or garage floor.

I also coincidentally noticed an occasional squeak sound coming from the belt.

I deferred to the household expert - my wife (LOL). She drove it this morning. Same thing, smoke & squeak. She thought it was a rubber smell ("like burning tires" she said). Now that she mentioned it, I agree.

So, not sure what's wrong but will get looked at. Hoping it's not too major.

Edited by paulmlac

How many miles are on the car? When was the last time you've changed the drive belts?

The car has about 65,000 miles.

I’ve only owned the car since Saturday so not sure if the belts have been changed before.

You just purchased it, so I would take it back to the dealer you got it from and have them deal with it. Take a look at the drive belt before you go anywhere and make sure it doesn't look compromised in any way.

If it is the belt rubbing enough to smoke and smell I would stop driving it because it's going to break very soon and leave you stranded.

You just purchased it, so I would take it back to the dealer you got it from and have them deal with it. Take a look at the drive belt before you go anywhere and make sure it doesn't look compromised in any way.

If it is the belt rubbing enough to smoke and smell I would stop driving it because it's going to break very soon and leave you stranded.

Yes you need to take it back to the dealer ASAP, as long as it'll last and not snap the belt or anything...

I checked the belt and it doesn’t look like a break is imminent. I’m guessing it’s the original. I can see the word Subaru printed but it’s on the outside so wouldn’t rub off. The grooved side feels slick vs rubbery. I have a pic but not sure how to post here. I’m running it to a local shop tomorrow to get an independent assessment. I want to make sure it’s nothing else. For example, oil somewhere. The shop owner speculated about the tensioner / pulley. Then the dealer Thursday.

I don't think "slick" is a word I want would use to describe the ribbed side of a serpentine belt- sounds like either you're in desperate need of a new belt that isn't worn out, or maybe something is seized. Knowing that the back of the belt looks good (ie. the words aren't smeared) is good intel, that rules out any components or idlers that ride on that face. I'd take a look at the A/C compressor (top-front of the engine, on the right-hand side), and make sure the pulley is turning when the engine is running. The alternator, water pump, and power steering pump would also run on that side of the belt, but you would probably have a warning light if the alternator want charging, a temperature light if the water pump wasn't turning, and you'd definitely notice if the power steering pump wasn't turning. It looks like there might also be an idler that rides on the grooved side, but I don't actually own a vehicle with the same FB25 engine as you have, so I'm just going off of what a quick web search shows me.