LegacyGT.com

My Engine is Dirty NASTY!

Hello my Legacy friends- I have a nasty/dirty engine from the pulleys to the AC Compressor, etc....I plan replacing the drive belt, tensioner, and idler pulley as well as the PCV ad doing the trans fluid and diff fluid in the near future.

My concern is that the components that I am not replacing are still look really fugly. Any one have thoughts on how to best proceed?

Thank you,

Andrew

IMG_6073.thumb.png.f11697b5627f57c7812d765439d4277c.png

IMG_6072.thumb.png.917f85011decee649d8ed224e531fc00.png

IMG_6071.thumb.png.50b92434a4570c9e061ab0b52091ca0d.png

Take them off clean them up and put some rustoleum on them. Or if you have the money replace them. The tensioner is especially prone to wearing out early and often. The damper not so much, but the rubber inside them does tend to age and start falling apart. I would at least take them off and have a good look so you can assess their current condition.

That is from driving around in the salted roads and it is pretty much all cosmetic. It seems like you just bought your car. If you really were looking for a clean engine bay you should have prioritized that when purchasing. Even if you replace the crank pulley, power steering pump, AC pulley, I am sure you have corrosion elsewhere in the engine compartment. I would just do the best you can to clean it up without replacing parts.

That is from driving around in the salted roads and it is pretty much all cosmetic. It seems like you just bought your car. If you really were looking for a clean engine bay you should have prioritized that when purchasing. Even if you replace the crank pulley, power steering pump, AC pulley, I am sure you have corrosion elsewhere in the engine compartment. I would just do the best you can to clean it up without replacing parts.

dgoodhue- yeah I was a little shocked when i opened the hood when i first saw the car. Complete opposite of my 2006 Toyota Camry with 241,xxx, but anyway. I suppose I overlooked the engine ugliness due o the price I paid for this Subaru and the fact I have money left over for issues like this

My main priority was getting the car home as it was in NJ and I was in PA being a 2 hour trip and not having legal tags or registration. Plus through in Covid19 and all the issues, I had to plan on going to the auto tag notary and then getting the car inspected.

Pretty much my priorities were/are:

1) Buy the car

2) Get PA Registration on the car

3) Get the car PA inspected

4) Order OEM replacement parts

5) Install those parts

6) Drive the car

I honestly appreciate the feedback it helps on what I should be focusing on with getting this car up and running for many years to come

Make sure you call ahead to your notary/tag agent.

PennDot closed all offices until April 1st due to this ridiculous virus response. You may not be able to regisiter the car until this lunacy is over.

My local place was open this past weekend. It is tagged and PA inspected!

My local place was open this past weekend. It is tagged and PA inspected!

Good that you were able to get that in. Inspections probably can be delayed at this point. I have a car, boat and trailer I want to register so I can insure them, but I can't.

I just ordered a whole bunch of OEM parts online:

Drive Belt

Tensioner

Pulley(s)

Nuts and Bolts for said pulley(s)

PCV

AT Fluid Subaru OEM

Time to bring this Subu current with maintenance!

What year is it? If you end up resetting the transmission memory and relearning it after you replace the transmission fluid, do me a solid and let me know what you did and how it went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What year is it? If you end up resetting the transmission memory and relearning it after you replace the transmission fluid, do me a solid and let me know what you did and how it went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a 2013 build date of 03/12...

Congrats on the new ride!

Yeah I am in the camp of not replacing the pulleys, a good scrubbing and high temp engine paint will make them look good as new or close for a lot less, IMO. New belt, tensioner and PCV is work that may not be needed yet, but is PM and that is always good.

Congrats on the new ride!

Yeah I am in the camp of not replacing the pulleys, a good scrubbing and high temp engine paint will make them look good as new or close for a lot less, IMO. New belt, tensioner and PCV is work that may not be needed yet, but is PM and that is always good.

Scubaboo- thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I might consider that as an option, once the pulleys are removed, but considering the amount of dirt and rust, it might be prudent to just have new on the engine to not have to question any failures in the future due to the PO's ignorance on maintaining the engine components

No prob!

It just seems from the pics that the pulleys have mostly cosmetic damage, and you could save some bucks by refurbing them instead.

Good time to clean the timing case cover while all the pulleys are out, looks like there is corrosion on the aluminum too.

No prob!

It just seems from the pics that the pulleys have mostly cosmetic damage, and you could save some bucks by refurbing them instead.

Good time to clean the timing case cover while all the pulleys are out, looks like there is corrosion on the aluminum too.

Scubaboo- what would you suggest to use to clean up the TCC?

I would start off with a good spray degreaser to get into all the nooks and cranies and a brush if needed.

On what looks to be raised bumps from aluminum corrosion, short of media blasting the parts, I have no idea, sorry.