LegacyGT.com

Coefficent of Drag (same as a C6 Corvette)

I was reading the specs sheet on the sticky thread in the forum and saw the coefficent of drag for the GT Sedan was .28. Then I remembered reading Autoweek last night which had an article about the new C6 Corvette (which is the best american sports car I think). It stated it had a Coefficent of drag of .28 as well. Guess Subaru really did some good work on the aero dynamics of the Legacy, makes you wonder how fast this car can really go without the electronic speed limiter. It really dumb that they set it at 130, I can hit that on the local race tracks straight away. Should have been set at 140 or 150.

since we are on the topic. i thought typicly wagons had a better number being as they dont have the rear window. well it shows i duno what im tlaking about. lets put it this way. i curently own a focus and out of the sedan 3door hatchback and the wagon. the wagon has the best numbers for the least drag. how come this doesnt apply to the subaru? maybe it had a little more thought into the design then ford would ever put into a car!?

not sure if anyone has seen this, but here is the Top Gear (UK) review of the C6. Its about 40MB so 56K users beware! (right click and save target as) [url]http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_Corvette_hi.wmv[/url] -Matt

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='mtarone']not sure if anyone has seen this, but here is the Top Gear (UK) review of the C6. Its about 40MB so 56K users beware! (right click and save target as) [url]http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_Corvette_hi.wmv[/url] -Matt[/quote] Thankyou! Top Gear >* Motorsports shows!!1

I love Top Gear! I collect every clip of theirs I can get just about (well anything that interests me.) Kanos, if they do set it around 130, probably for insurance of law enforcement reasons, but heck if you're going that fast, what's another 10-15mph anyhow? Not a whole heck of a lot. IIRC, the CD for USDM models was quoted as .29 for Sedan and .31 for Wagon while foreign versions were 0.01 lower in both accounts. Not sure why, I'd think that slightly longer, less stubby looking bumper would cut the air better. It's probably a bit more to that and may potentially be more theoretical than anything. Alright, onto downloading that clip! :D

[quote name='mtarone']not sure if anyone has seen this, but here is the Top Gear (UK) review of the C6. Its about 40MB so 56K users beware! (right click and save target as) [url]http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_Corvette_hi.wmv[/url] -Matt[/quote] Yeah, Top Gear is great! I love how they crack on the C6's Leaf Spring suspension..toooo funny

Guest *Jedimaster*
I find it so interesting to see their point of view about the cars we like. Interesting to see that it's different. I also liked their little comment about our government invading other countries :lol:

Just wanted to add that the Force of Drag is: Fd = 0.5 * Cd * rho * A * v^2 where Cd = coefficient of drag rho = density of the fluid (air in this case) v^2 = velocity squared A = frontal area Since rho and v^2 is assume the same for all objects, the key is both Cd AND A. Just because two objects have the same Cd is irrelevent if one has a much greater frontal area than the other. Joe

[quote name='JoeGT']Just wanted to add that the Force of Drag is: Fd = 0.5 * Cd * rho * A * v^2 where Cd = coefficient of drag rho = density of the fluid (air in this case) v^2 = velocity squared A = frontal area Since rho and v^2 is assume the same for all objects, the key is both Cd AND A. Just because two objects have the same Cd is irrelevent if one has a much greater frontal area than the other. Joe[/quote] Exactly. Cd relates to a -shape-; a car model at (for example) 1/16 the size has the SAME Cd and 1/16 the drag. I wish they would start reporting Fd at a given speed, air temperature and humidity. This would be much more pertinent.

[quote name='krzyss']it changes linear dimensions 16 fold but area is changed (1/16)^2 = 1/256 and volume would be (1/16)^3 = 1/4096. Krzys[/quote] Nope, area is already accounted for and depth (front to back) does not (by itself) increase drag (except for the friction of the outer surfaces).

Archived