LegacyGT.com

'08 legacy throwing P0171 code and rough idle

Was driving last night and noticed the CEL came on with flashing "cruise" light. Car started idling rough when I came to a complete stop, dropping RPM and shaking the whole car, sounding like its about to die. Made it home by fluttering the gas in neutral at stops.

Plugged the code reader in and got 2 codes but both were the same P0171. Figured I would start by running an injector cleaner in the fuel but when I started it today it would idle for 10-15 seconds and then stall.

Any ideas on what might be going on here and where is a good place to start?

Thanks!

Update: First of all, thank you for all the help and suggestions, this site and its users are awesome. So I purchased the MAF sensor cleaner. As I was removing the sensor I noticed the intake hose was loose on the manifold side. previous owner/mechanic must not have fully seated the hose before tightening the fastener and as I was driving down a bumpy dirt road, it shook off.

Cleaned the sensor and the filter anyways and buttoned everything up and it no longer stalls when idling at a complete stop.

However the car still idles down (when coming to a complete stop) to the point where it shakes and almost sounds like it will stall before reving up again. Any thoughts? I did not check for vacuum leaks or spark plugs/wires...

Edited by NoviceSubyOwner
Update after repair.

Just finished clearing the same code and rough idle situation on my 05 and the problem was with the blue T. One line disconnected at the manifold and a second cracked line behind the alternator. Before spending money on parts check for a vacuum leak. Check out this thread for some good diagrams of vacuum hose routing. I traces these and inspected u til I found my culprit but remember just because you find one keep going as there could be more.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-2006-lgt-colored-vacuum-routing-diagram-143225.html