LegacyGT.com

2008-2009 GT Manual vs Auto

Hello

First timer here, considering a 2008-2009 GT but not clear what transmission I should be seeking. I've read enough to know the manual is quicker but aside from that what differences are owners seeing? Reliability? Higher incident/failure rate?

Seems like the manuals are hard to find so just want to make sure I'm not missing out if I end up with an auto.

Much thanks!

Depends on goals for the car and personal preference really.

Us telling you what trans to get would be akin to us telling you who to date.

The manuals hold their value better and will take a good bit more power without modification.

I wish my 2009 had gears to row and a clutch to play with. That said, it's a great car, even with the wonky 5EAT. I did buy the car as a driver as I have a rwd stick car for the fun times so no regrets.

If you have the opportunity to snag a clean auto go for it but if you can hold out for a manual that would be my suggestion. My $.02

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Throwout bearings on the MT's seem to have a poor design, like there is always slight pressure on the bearing I think, causing it to typically fail in less than 100k. Bearing life seems to be all over the place, but I think average seems to be 60k-100k.

I still wouldn't trade my MT for an AT, but something to be aware of, since you basically have to do a full clutch job to replace it. It's also not something you want to put off, since it can explode and do more damage.

I would prefer a manual our of the gate but the going rate for the manuals is significantly higher. Wasn't sure if that was demand due to: 1) much fewer MT cars out there and those of us who prefer manual in general drive up demand/cost 2) AT isn't as reliable or won't last as long.

Sounds like it's more of the former

I would prefer a manual our of the gate but the going rate for the manuals is significantly higher. Wasn't sure if that was demand due to: 1) much fewer MT cars out there and those of us who prefer manual in general drive up demand/cost 2) AT isn't as reliable or won't last as long.

Sounds like it's more of the former

I tell people that want to get into these cars to take your time and save a bit more and get what you really want. Also cash talks. I am not sure where you live but there are many nice 5MT legacy GTs and OBXTs where I am at. Guess what? they are all stock and older people drive them and maintain them at the dealer. many for sale. LGT wagons also.