LegacyGT.com

HID headlights from a 2008 Legacy in a 2006 spec B

Hi,

New here, so hopefully posting in the right place.

I am the proud owner of a 2008 (59) Legacy 2.0D RE that suffered critical engine failure at the weekend at only 126,000 miles.

If all goes to plan, by this weekend I should be the proud owner of a 2006 (06) Legacy 3.0 R spec B (talk about silver linings!)

The RE has HID headlights, the spec B doesn't.

The question, in short, is can I put the headlights from the RE in the Spec B?

- will they phyiscally fit?

- is the wiring plug and play or will it need modification?

- how does the headlight leveller wire in?

- how do the washers plumb/wire in?

- does any of this require ECU reprogramming / modification? Wiring loom modification?

Any thoughts, answers, guides, very much appreciated!

James

No. The 08-09 facelift headlights won’t be compatible with your prefacelift bumper and fenders. And on top of that, the wiring connectors are different. If the Spec B didn’t have headlight leveling already, it would be a pain to rewire them in with the new headlights.

have you checked the code of your CEL?

Engine light didn't even come on. Basically it went from sounding like an engine one moment to sounding like a gorilla beating a lump of iron with a mallet the next, with a huge loss of power. I managed to coax it to to the side of the motorway before it gave out completely.

My mechanic reckons a snapped piston rod. Seems a common failure mode in the diesels. Definitely beyond economic repair.

No. The 08-09 facelift headlights won’t be compatible with your prefacelift bumper and fenders. And on top of that, the wiring connectors are different. If the Spec B didn’t have headlight leveling already, it would be a pain to rewire them in with the new headlights.

Thanks. Wiring, plumbing etc. I could work around. If they won't physically fit they'll always look dreadful, so definitely not worth getting involved with.