LegacyGT.com

pink springs for 09 spec b?

10yrs ago i picked up my new spec.b from dealer, i didn't realized its butts is much saggy than i'd searched online until the moment the dealer shown me my car. (they didn't have it in the showroom, i had to order and waited for a month to "see" the real thing!)

I'd been struggling (because they were new and i felt fine with its handling, so why bother?) to "upgrade" it until now it's 10yrs old with 120k miles on it. i'm thinking to have it a new set of springs (coilover?) as its 10yrs old bday gift.

trust me, i 'd been searching a set of pink springs (also coilovers) since few years ago.

now my question is.. how many 09 spec b owners has pink springs here? pic please? coz they are lower 15mm front and back. meaning the saggy butts is still?

according to few posts, and these two are more in details:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-jdm-oem-suspension-61108.html and https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/best-sti-pink-springs-spec-b-103600.html

is this vendor trustable? :confused:

front P/N ST2033021020

rear P/N ST2038021020

i know they are more expensive, about $600+:eek: While other springs are just $200~400 a set, e.g. Tein, RCE, Swift and so on.. Then i think "why don't i pick up coilovers with just few extra $hundreds?" but i have no way to find any vendors they have bilstein coilover for my 09lgt. Beside, i could find few posts here they mentioned the PSS9 (10?) coilovers but no pics.

i don't think i would spend more than 2k on it coz i won't be able to tracks/clubevents as those days (20+yrs ago) with my miata. Now i have regular job and family...sighs :icon_cry: so just kinda of give it slightly more firm is my target. Yes, with stock setup, weight transfer is very pronounce, so i do very easy on braking/cornering. anyway.. my poor driving skill :offtopic:

don't get me wrong, i don't mean that some folks are acting like i have this and that (showing off?). i just want to see some real things and real opinion/reviews from the owners before making my decision.

thanks.

Edited by markc0220k

You have a couple different options around $1000. Struts and springs with a spacer, or a number of mid to low-end coilovers. Compared to stock Bils and springs with 120k miles, whatever you get will be night and day difference. Likely much stiffer. Although your roads in TX are probably way better than mine in PA.

I'd go with Pinks or Swift springs if it were me picking today, and I'd likely add a small rear spacer with either. Set it and forget it, go with new Bilstein struts, or add some dampening with Koni struts. I like Koni struts better.

Then the lower range coilovers with both height and dampening adjustment. FA, BC, Tein, couple others probably all made in the same factory overseas. I've never run these coilovers personally, but any car I've ridden in has been surprisingly pleasant. I'm buying a set of used FA500 coils soon for my wagon, and can't wait.

I'd go with Pinks or Swift springs if it were me picking today, and I'd likely add a small rear spacer with either. Set it and forget it, go with new Bilstein struts, or add some dampening with Koni struts. I like Koni struts better..

so, shall i keep the stock bil then replace the springs? or replace the whole piece?

thanks

Depends on condition I guess. If they aren't leaking or looking like they're shot I'd try them, but I've also heard the OE bils aren't dampened great for aftermarket springs. My rear OE bils were leaking with 160k miles and were starting to look like hell, but they took a beating previously.

With 120k miles and smoother roads you might be fine for a little while. I just feel like putting new aftermarket lowering springs on 10 year and 120k mile old struts is asking for a redo shortly after.

but I've also heard the OE bils aren't dampened great for aftermarket springs. My rear OE bils were leaking with 160k miles and were starting to look like hell, but they took a beating previously..

thts what id read on nasioc too

I just feel like putting new aftermarket lowering springs on 10 year and 120k mile old struts is asking for a redo shortly after.

i agree.. so im looking for strut/springs combo too ..i knw ppl talked about such topics million times..but for 09 spec B. i couldnt find a lots ..

thanks BoozeRS

See if these are still around, ? Would they work ?

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2913593

Thanks Max, i'd considered JDM used strut/spring as well, so tempted! but i finally decided to go for a new sets. first, i really don't know how many miles are already on those used parts. plus, mine looks good too (no grease and leaks, no dirt .. will take some pics soon i disassemble them). Secondary, im lazy and prefer something that would last longer after this "renew" project.. (you might knw i'm doing other things beside suspension on other post ;) )

Edited by markc0220k

i also found many posts about selling/buying their used/new Cusco coilover ( post 1, post 2 and here ) ... but i couldn't find any review (weird?!) from lgt owners. plus those are very old threads. no need to mention, also dont see any 09spec b owner have them ..

thing is, they are available here on their offical webs

are they something wrong so not many ppl prefer them or some other reasons?:confused:

Edited by markc0220k

There are a number of guys that would say you're buying shit coilovers if only spending $1,000 and that real coilovers start around $2,000. If you go the Cusco or KW coilover route I'm pretty sure you'd really happy, but it's a rabbit hole you might want to avoid too.

Lots of options on Ebay for used Bilstein assemblies too. Your specB struts are rebuildable too, through Bilstein, but I'm not sure the cost effectiveness compared to buying new. Koni rears are plug and play, but the fronts require literally chopping your current front struts apart to insert the piston cartridges (not as bad as it sounds with a drill, tape measure and saw).

Good used coilovers are somewhat rare, but if you're patient they come around too. Many of the higher end setups are rebuildable through the manufacturer. Lower end coilovers are usually throw away items if I'm not mistaken.

There are a number of guys that would say you're buying shit coilovers if only spending $1,000 and that real coilovers start around $2,000. If you go the Cusco or KW coilover route I'm pretty sure you'd really happy, but it's a rabbit hole you might want to avoid too.

i agree with you, but thing is.. i really don't know which brand/serie of strut to pair which brand/serie of spring, not many ppl has such reviews here. thus, i think simple coilover should be the answer since they are R&D/built together.

and yes, i really don't need those fancy hi end coilovers, but then, what strut vs spring is good? and thats why my thread topic is "pink spring for spec B?" hope someone could tell me which way to go..

at this point, i might go for a set of new bilstein HD (saw some good/solid reviews here ) and set of springs.. just don't know what springs to buy now..

so yes, it's about $1+k (new set of HD with new set of pinks Front and rear ) and trouble free from those cheapy coilovers .. but so far i havent seen anyone get their pink springs from amazon .. :confused:

New Bilstein HDs and Pink springs with a small rear spacer and I think you'd be damn happy. It will be a massive upgrade.

Worst case I bet you'd be able to sell parts or the whole setup for 90% of what you have into it. Good parts hold value if not mistreated or beaten to death.

New Bilstein HDs and Pink springs with a small rear spacer and I think you'd be damn happy. It will be a massive upgrade.

that's my inital plan, may order those parts soon.. but still not sure if anyone has tried the vendor from amazon (see the link above) , waiting for a green light!

Worst case I bet you'd be able to sell parts or the whole setup for 90% of what you have into it. Good parts hold value if not mistreated or beaten to death.

well, have never thought to sell my old parts, yes they all looked new, but already 120K. Since i dont want it, why bother others?

that's why im so afraid to buy used parts, just because there are too many bad sellers eveywhere. they may clean the parts, said they are low milages and sell them as "OEM spec B suspension combo" for hi price.. see what i'm trying to say? hate to see it and thus i hate to be one of them!:offtopic:

thanks BoozeRS, im little more clear which way i shall go now! :)

Edited by markc0220k

I bought pink springs paired with koni yellows 5 years ago and tell me why I just installed it 1 month ago. Love that there is no gap. And not as saggy as I thought but I have a 08 legacy gt. Took a while to score the pink springs but if HKC speed is still around Randy can try to help source them for you. I have pics of my car I can text you. Or check it out on Instagram. ChefO.Soriano

I daily my car and installed them with 137k miles. Now put 1k miles and love it. Love my car all over again. I believe its 2 clicks from soft and rides great! No complaints at all! One of my most fave mods since owning her for 11 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I bought pink springs paired with koni yellows 5 years ago and tell me why I just installed it 1 month ago. Love that there is no gap. And not as saggy as I thought but I have a 08 legacy gt. Took a while to score the pink springs

where did you get your pink springs?

I have pics of my car I can text you. Or check it out on Instagram. ChefO.Soriano

sorry, you may think i'm from Mars, i don't have ig :icon_lol:

ok, i think i'm narrowing down to three options:

a. RCE tarmac zero, but didn't find anywhere available for 2009 lgt

b. RCE black + Bilstein B6 (or lower strut, B8?) .. but i found RCE Black drops both front and rear 20mm

c. Swift + Bilstein B6? but still Swift street are 0.8" both front and rear. meaning like RCE black which lower both front/rear but yet butts saggy?:confused:

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

http://imgur.com/gallery/JvAi4Yt

Hey mark- i remember reading about your sound system upgrades 10 years ago and wanting to do the same. Anyhow this is my car. I did pink springs back in 09. I have more picts but i think you get the idea.