LegacyGT.com

Did you cross shop the Outback?

Well as someone who's has had Outbacks (11, 19) and Legacies (05,13,15,18,20) in the garage for the last 15+ years, they just fill two different needs.

The Outback is great for hauling stuff, larger stuff, bikes, furniture, kids instruments (son plays the bass), lumber when needed. I've even had a twin mattress in the back of the Outback flat. We also tend to take the Outback on longer trips as it swallows the suitcases a bit easier and just feels like it has more space inside.

Outback is significantly "floatier" on the highway, but that also means it's a bit more comfortable as it eats up the bumps etc. Legacy is the "sportier" of the two, but it's not something in its current form I'd take to the track. But it makes for a very capable daily.

2 cents, have a family, or a house and don't have another vehicle, Outback would be the way to go, it's very capable, beyond that, Legacy would be my pick.

Edited by gibjer

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

I believe it is a choice of someone wanting a SUV type vehicle or a car. I love my Legacy and looked at a lot of different cars and manufactures. This is my first Subaru and I am glad I made the choice to buy one. The new Legacy have a lot more room then the older ones and on long trips it is so smooth and comfortable.

I have a 2013 Legacy and love it. Back in 2012 when I was looking at cars, I was thinking about the Outback vs legacy for myself. I have a family and 2 kids, but my wife has a CRV, so I justified my decision that the CRV would be for family trips, hauling stuff, etc.

I do a ton of driving for work, so I went to the Legacy because:

it was a few thousand cheaper

better MPG (it was a bigger difference in 2012, than it is now)

sportier/tighter on the road, for all of the driving I do for work.

I have 105,000 on the Legacy and have no regrets. It's a great highway cruiser.

But my next car will probably be an Outback and this is why:

- MPG is much closer to Legacy now

- higher ground clearance/better approach angle, to not worry about negotiating parking lots/curbs/dips in driveways, etc and scraping the front bumper.

- I like the plastic cladding - it will better protect the car from, well, everything. from jobsites to parking lot door dings, etc

- it will hold more in the rear and/or with seats down

- I would get a hitch and hitch basket/cargo carrier for things you don't want to put in the car (gas/power equipment, etc), and a bike rack

- roof rack would be good for lumber on occasion.

• 1 month later...

My wife just returned the 2020 Outback loaner we had while her 2011 Legacy was at the dealer for about 2 weeks.

She liked the utility of it and noticeably better lights than the candles that Subaru calls lights in her Legacy.

She kind of hated the media unit; CarPlay was less reliable than in the aftermarket pioneer unit I installed in her Legacy. Driver monitoring was annoying her at times too and can’t be permanently turned off it seems.

I can’t believe that the engine on the 2020 still vibrates as much as it does when in park. Meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro